No headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleHaterLover, Oct 30, 2018.

1. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Surely I thought we'd have more people complaining, especially the Garage Band folks?

I didn't like how they pretty much killed compatibility with any and all existing iPad accessories... including Apple Pencil...

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Kinda indicates how people feel about the headphone jack.

USB-C will open up a lot of new possibilities.

3. sonicrobby, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yeah, 4 phone generations after apple has removed it from the iPhone, I think people have started moving more and more to wireless. Since Ive gotten my airpods, I dont really care for headphone jacks anymore. Same way people arent really talking much about a CD drive in the macs.

4. pooryou macrumors 65816

pooryou

Wireless headphones have way too much latency for real time audio monitoring unfortunately.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

It's only been 2 years since the iPhone 7...

And personally, even with a pair of AirPods, I still think it was a bad move for customers and a greedy move for Apple.

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Nobody uses wired headphones anymore.
    It’s time for everyone to move on and admit Apple yet again made the right call. Courage.

7. Perene macrumors 6502a

Perene

What about adapters that can make all old accessories work with this new iPAD?

And can we use two devices in the same USB-C port?

8. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

lol

I'm guessing most Garageband users already had the iPad connected to a USB audio interface. Certainly that's how I've been doing it on my iPad. It's used for audio recording and wired headphone listening a lot of the time, yet I haven't used the headphone jack in forever.

9. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

Lots of people use wired headphones for many reasons. Some like their current headphones, especially if they invested in quality models. Bluetooth has never caught up yet with the best wired in audio quality. Good it’s still possible with an adapter, but I would have prefered that the jack was kept.

10. Fishels macrumors regular

I’m actually extremely disappointed. I’ve never cared about phones so the iPhone thing was not a huge deal for me. But I use my tablet as a computer almost. I like having headphones that I don’t have to charge. I own several extremely nice pairs that are wired and taking this functionality out(while not extremely shocking) is nonetheless disappointing.

It might be time for me to move on away from Apple after I get a 10.5. I also don’t want to deal with this silly face recognition thing. Maybe I’m ignorant but I’d much rather touch a button than have to look at something to unlock it.

11. Mackinjosh Suspended

I like how they removed the jack but still marketed it to DJs. Apples stupidity is boundless.

12. csjcsj macrumors regular

csjcsj

Now I’m wondering if I should return the 11" when it comes in. I hate that the old pencils won’t work, but even more I don’t like what they’ve done to the camera. They take old iPads for trade in, they should take the Pencils back too.

And as far as why you want wired headphones - you aren’t supposed to use Bluetooth on a plane. Of course that never stopped me from using the pencil ...

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Issue for me, and (yes this is how I use my iPad), is that I charge my iPad *and* use my headphones at the same time, and I know I’m not the only one. So in theory, I know I have to use an adapter if necessary, or use my Bluetooth headphones, but I do prefer wired in this respect, because they are superior to my AirPods and other Bluetooth devices.

14. cwerdna macrumors 6502

I guess I'm nobody because I use them almost every single day.

I do not care for Bluetooth headphones or earpieces. I have a bunch of the latter. I don't use them any more.

15. darkarn macrumors 6502a

I don't intend to get any wireless headphones soon so in the meantime, how are USB C audio interfaces?

16. Kung gu macrumors member

17. darkarn macrumors 6502a

18. kasakka macrumors 68020

USB-C audio adapters are a wild west at least on Android because implementation is not standard. Some have built-in DAC in the device, others like Apple put it in the dongle adapter.

A USB audio interface that works with the iPad Pro would be overall the most compatible and also highest audio quality option.

19. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Lol youre right, I was counting Phone generations and forgot the 8 & X were released at the same time, and included the XS year even though it just came out. But even so looking at it that way, 4 different iPhones without the jacks. It was only a matter of time before other products followed suit. Wont be surprised if in 2 years the MBPs stop including them as well.

Its all in their move to go thinner, I wish they went as thick of the camera to make it flush, and just add in a lot more battery, would allow them to keep the jack. Apparently it being too "thick" or "heavy" is a bigger priority to Apple, because holding anything more than 2 lbs is just too much work for some people :confused:

20. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

"Silly" seems like an odd choice of words, it's simply an authentication mechanism - and an outstanding one at that - in fact, I greatly prefer FID to TID, having used both extensively since the release of the iPX :)

21. Momof9 macrumors 6502

I had similar question and my dad told me the Bluetooth adapters work good. Mine was about my computer speaker system. This is also when I connect to the monitor with either a dongle or apple tv to get sounds.

22. darkarn macrumors 6502a

You are spot on, this is why I want to take a look at a proper audio interface instead of these adapters, or at least see if a USB C to USB A adapter and a USB A sound card will do the job too since I happen to have a thumbdrive size one.

PC World does have a very good article on explaining what you said: https://www.pcworld.com/article/328...e-jack-why-usb-c-audio-still-doesnt-work.html

23. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Now that almost every mobile device has followed in apples footsteps and gone wireless it’s less of an “outrage.”

24. kasakka macrumors 68020

A lot of "proper" audio interfaces (with multiple inputs/outputs etc) use USB-B so throw in one more adapter in there as you are unlikely to find a USB-C to USB-B cable since it's a pretty niche product.