No "hey, Siri" in nightstand mode?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shacky, Sep 30, 2015.

1. shacky macrumors regular

shacky

You can "hey Siri" when you are wearing your watch. You can "hey Siri" when your iPhone or iPad is plugged in (and all the time now with 6s and s+.) But when I tried out nightstand mode for my watch, it seemed natural to use "hey Siri" but, nope. It's not there.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

"Hey Siri" would be met with a "shut up" from my wife.

3. shacky thread starter macrumors regular

shacky

I would like to at least be able to set a wake up alarm.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It would likely cause device confusion since many or most people charge their iPhone near their :apple:Watch.

5. friedmud macrumors 65816

I personally like this - because my phone is charging right next to it... so they would both respond...

6. redman042 macrumors 68020

I've been using nightstand mode but found the only way to set or change an alarm is to turn it back upright and enter the unlock code. Inconvenient.

7. shacky thread starter macrumors regular

shacky

I think that the fact that your iPhone may be nearby is not a valid reason to not enable Hey Siri on the watch in nightstand mode. After all, your spouses phone or iPads may also be nearby. Plus, presuming you could choose to enable or disable it, it really would only be a plus. I'm surprised it wasn't included.

8. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So you really want Siri, or all the Apple tech supporting Siri server, to listening to you and everything in the bed room all night long?
    That's the only way Hey Siri will work in night stand, listening all night long.....

9. shacky thread starter macrumors regular

shacky

As does your iPad and iPhone. I assume you have a problem with that, too, then?

10. redman042, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015

redman042 macrumors 68020

Apple has been quite clear about their privacy policies, which are the best in the business. Now, if you think they are flat-out lying, just say so.

Like they even give a **** what's happening in your bedroom.

11. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I get why they do this... my only complaint is that alarms are independent between phone and watch. So a Siri command like "set an alarm for 6am on my watch" would fix things.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Hey Siri is not there on the watch when the display is off even when your wearing the watch. Are you asking why Hey Siri will not work once you tap the watch to turn on the Nightstand watch face? Here is my opinion. The watch is "disconnected" from the phone while on the charger which is a requirement to see the Nightstand mode. While charging the phone is the primary source of notifications and would also be the only source for hearing your Siri request. I don't think its a matter of not being able to provide the function but already the watch is built not to accept communication while on the charger. Preset alarms will work and it will act as a simple clock but past that its not doing much.

13. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

No I don't use "Hey Siri", just simple push button Siri, and my iPhone & iPad is not next to my bed.

14. jasie02, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Maybe they give a **** about all the noise in yours.

15. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

So you can use hey siri when a password has to be typed on the watch wheni t's off your watch. My hey siri won't work if the watch isn't on my wrist, aka, needing a password. Is this different for everyone else?

16. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

They should add a little plus button in one corner when in night stand mode so you can set new alarms without picking it up.