No hfs+ partition, need to format a SINGLE partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carnegie0107, Aug 3, 2009.

1. carnegie0107 macrumors newbie

I need help. I wiped out my hfs+ partition (don't ask me how, suffice it to say that me, the computer nerd, made a STUPID mistake). I have my Tiger install disc. I need SOME way (possibly from a Windows partition?) to format only a SINGLE partition to hfs+ (I already have the unallocated space ready to be formatted) without losing any other data, as I no longer have a way to re-install Windows if I wipe it out, and I need Windows (I just don't want to ONLY have Windows!)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I suggest burning a Linux Live Cd (I use Ubuntu) and using their disk utility to format the specific partition to HFS+.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install hfsprogs
    I think it is.

3. carnegie0107 thread starter macrumors newbie

So simple...

I don't need a LiveCD, I actually have Ubuntu installed on an ext4 partition (that's the reason I need to create a new *logical* partition for Mac--I already have 4 primary). I'm a Linux nerd. For some reason, though, there were no hfs+-formatting utilities showing up in the repositories--either in add/remove, or in synaptic. I tried installing hfsprogs in terminal like you said, though, and no problem. I was one command away from my problem being solved. I just didn't know the name of the package. Thank you! I have it formatted, and am now rebooting with my Tiger disc in the drive. :D

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

download the gparted live cd and use it to make a new partition and format it as hfs. It can handle pretty much any file system you want. It's a very useful tool and I have used it many times without any data loss occurring.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I love it.

Attached Files:

6. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

Related from my minimal usage: gparted run from inside ubuntu install offers very few FS among those in it's list. i clicked on various other partitions (ie, not the active ubuntu partition): ntfs, unformatted, (also a ext3 IIRC). But gparted offered only common linux formats (ext2, whatever, probably reiser, etc). most of the list was greyed.
    this was current gparted version in jaunty, but also after very recent updates.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The live cd works different than the ubuntu install version. I have found the ubuntu install to be completely useless because I never can really modify much of anything with it. The live cd offers a whole range of possibilities because it can unmount the disk to do work in it.