No highs, no lows, must be Bose

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HiFiGuy528, Oct 23, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

That's how I feel about Bose. Until I heard the MusicMonitors. The sound is decent for mini monitors, but the looks, size and build is fantastic. I like the all aluminum casing and rock solid feel. The idea of spending $400 for Bose speakers is killing me (80% marketing & 20% product).

I haven't found anything like it at that price or higher. Any recommendations?

[​IMG]

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

It's not especially how you felt about it ;) Its a catchy, yet crappy and done to death quote you heard from somewhere else. Its been banded about for years by those that think they know what they are talking about and like to bash Bose because they consider it fashionable to do so or whatever (Its more like sheep following sheep, but whatever!)

To me, Bose is like many other speaker manufacturers. To name one as an example.. JBL. Both companies have made some great speakers, and both have also made some crap speakers. Unlike many other speaker manufacturers however, Bose are at least quite pioneering in their designs, and invest a lot of money into research and development for new speaker technology. Not many people are aware that Bose pioneered and made popular the 2.1 micro satalite & sub speaker systems that have been copied so much since. Ironically, many folks that bash Bose often use the cheaper 'copies' themselves.

Bose stuff is generally quite well made, nicely designed and nearly always sounds good, and 'bigger' than the cabinet size would suggest. Bose have always been quite good at that.
    At the end of the day, if it sounds good to you, then it is good. If you like it, buy it. No reason why not.. Don't let the sheep followers put you off.

3. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I've sold Bose back in my Good Guys days. They were the MOST profitable line we carried. The commission on a 3,2,1 System was over $100 and they rarely come back (return).
    I know I can find better sounding speakers for less than $400, but they don't fit the size and build like these MusicMonitors. Now if they were $200 or USB powered too, I'd get them without any thoughts.

Any other powered speakers that are just as nicely build as these? I know Focal CMS-50 are nice, but they are $1000 and a lot bigger.

[​IMG]

4. dL. macrumors 6502

Have you tried Audioengine A2 or A5? I just bought a pair of A2 and I'm gonna return my Bose Companion 3. The A2 sounds wayyyyyyyyyyy more natural and better, even though most people will "assume" the Bose is clearer from the way they EQ'd it.

dL

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If you are also considering studio monitors, then you could do a lot worse than look at Bluesky's.. Quite well respected these days. And not overly expensive for what they offer.
    www.abluesky.com

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I like studio monitors, but they are too big. I remember Roland made a kick ass mini monitor (MA-12)the size of these Bose that cost $99. But they don't anymore. I need something small. All I could find are plastic POS.

Has anyone heard these?

[​IMG]