Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I have been using my girlfriends iPhone 4 to compare data speed results with my 4s. Both are on AT&T.

I live in Oxford Mississippi. According to the AT&T data map, I should have HSDPA data speed here. I have tested both my 4s and my girlfriends 4 using speedtest.net app and both have similar results within 1mb of each other. Sometimes the 4 is faster and sometimes the 4s is faster but the 4s does not outperform the 4 by any margin.

I then went to Memphis this weekend and while I was there I remembered to test the data speeds of both phones at different areas of Memphis. This is another city which is supposedly a HSDPA+ area. During the tests I again got similar results from both the 4 and 4s with 1mb of each other. Around 4mb download and 1mb upload consistently.

I have so far not found an area where my 4s was able to get over 6mb of data speed and outshine the 4 in speeds.

Take this with a grain of salt because there are obviously plenty of other big cities that might have better HSDPA+ speeds.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I'm in the west suburbs of Chicago. The best download speeds I saw was for the first few days with the 4S. A number of times around 6 Mbps. Since those first few days the best I've seen was around 3.7 Mbps, that's it.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I'm in the west suburbs of Chicago. The best download speeds I saw was for the first few days with the 4S. A number of times around 6 Mbps. Since those first few days the best I've seen was around 3.7 Mbps, that's it.

Do you know what iPhone 4 speeds are currently for that area for comparison?

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Same here in Tampa. I smell rat.

Now, I am not complaining about data speed by any means. I am very happy with my 4-6mb data speed.

I am just curious if HSDPA+ does exist and if it is possible to get any real world benefit from it. I kinda feel like HSDPA+ for 4s is on the same lines of believing in Santa Claus. Sure it gives me a nice, warm and fluffy feeling thinking that my 4s is faster than the other 2 networks but am I really getting this or am I just being told stories to make me feel good.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Now, I am not complaining about data speed by any means. I am very happy with my 4-6mb data speed.

I am just curious if HSDPA+ does exist and if it is possible to get any real world benefit from it. I kinda feel like HSDPA+ for 4s is on the same lines of believing in Santa Claus. Sure it gives me a nice, warm and fluffy feeling thinking that my 4s is faster than the other 2 networks but am I really getting this or am I just being told stories to make me feel good.

The 4S isn't an HSPA+ device to begin with. It's HSPDA and should be faster than the other 2 networks.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The 4S isn't an HSPA+ device to begin with. It's HSPDA and should be faster than the other 2 networks.

Bing bing bing we have a winner.

There is HSPA+ (which is not implemented on the iPhone 4S), there is HSDPA, but there is no HSDPA+.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011

So why did AT&T try and push to get the 4g tag for the 4s?

Wasn't the entire premise the fact that it could get theoretical 11mbps or something like that speeds?

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
have you made sure you are on the iPhone 4S data plan, not the normal iPhone data plan? I had the same problem and calling ATT to change my plan fixed it

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
have you made sure you are on the iPhone 4S data plan, not the normal iPhone data plan? I had the same problem and calling ATT to change my plan fixed it

I checked online to make sure and it said I was under the iPhone 4s data plan. I might go ahead and call AT&T and see how it looks on their end.

BTW what kind of data speeds are you getting now that you have changed it?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i have same issue. i live in the area that says i should get the "4G". however my speeds are exactly the same coming from the 4 to the 4S. its around 2-3 mb/s. i know i wasn't going to get the 11 that they say is possible but 6-7 would be nice. Im not complaining as it is fast. i would just like to know why its faster if they advertise it.

zephxiii

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
WOW Lots of misconceptions here.

The 4S is on the same network as the 4, however:

The 4S has a higher peak throughput via higher efficiency on the air interface and ability to grab more resources when compared to the 4 (15 HS-DSCH codes vs. 10 for the 4).

Also Qualcomm states that the MDM6600 IS in fact HSPA+ so it must have some Release 7 features in it. The 4S uses a variant of it (MDM6610) so it could actually have some of those Release 7 features making it technically HSPA+ and better than the 4.

On average the 4S should have higher throughput, but if the site is really loaded down you may not see that.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The issue is backhaul. It doesn't really matter how fast the phone can receive data if the cell tower doesn't have enough bandwidth to supply it. AT&T has been improving its speeds, but I imagine that there are very few placed where a congested cell tower could provide multiple users with HSPA+ speeds. This is in fact why I'm not fussed about 4G/LTE: because I don't really expect much real world increase in data throughput.

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
The issue is backhaul. It doesn't really matter how fast the phone can receive data if the cell tower doesn't have enough bandwidth to supply it. AT&T has been improving its speeds, but I imagine that there are very few placed where a congested cell tower could provide multiple users with HSPA+ speeds. This is in fact why I'm not fussed about 4G/LTE: because I don't really expect much real world increase in data throughput.

I think this is the real issue. Here in Cincinnati, I got 6-7 mb/s the first night I had my phone, but now I get closer to what I used to get on my 3GS. I'm thinking as more and more 4s phone hit the network, the cell towers got more congested and speeds fell.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow, I have yet to hit 6 Mbps on any speed test here in Austin, despite several tests in different parts of the city. 3G slows to a crawl in downtown Austin during the day. If you're hitting 4-6, I envy you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.