No iBook app for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Four oF NINE, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I can't find a Mac app for iBook, is there one?.. If not, why not? Kindle has one, I can read on iPhone or the Mac, why not the iBook? :confused:

I prefer the iBook, all else being equal, but I even more prefer being able to read books on either device.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't exist. Use the Kindle app and buy books from Amazon.

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

4. spooky69 macrumors member

And then you cannot read them on iBooks on an iPad? Seems odd to not have an iBooks app for the Mac.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That is odd--when I get a Macbook Air I plan to read books on it, but I guess it will be Amazon books.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

But there are kindle apps for the iPhone/iPad. But if you are google savy, and did some searching you can find out how to remove the DRM from the kindle version of the books and then they can be loaded into iBooks.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I too, would prefer not to jump through hoops and buy from one source
    I want to buy iBooks, but I also want to read on my Air

I'm hoping eventually they will introduce a Mac App

8. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Assuming you're syncing your iPad/phone to your mac, the books show up in iTunes, you can double click them and they'll open in preview. Now it won't sync what page you were on or anything, and it's not as neat as them bundling some sort of reader type functionality into iTunes, but it'll do the job. Maybe.
    There's Stanza too, that has iOS and a mac app, and/or goodreader is pretty awesome on iOS (and what I use for reading stuff).

9. spooky69 macrumors member

If I am google savvy? There is also a Kindle app that allows me to read Kindle books on all my Apple devices. This leads me to the conclusion that Amazon provide a more flexible solution and I find it ironic that they can enable me to read a purchased book on all of my Apple devices whereas the Apple solution does not enable me to read a book purchased through iTunes on my Mac.

The point is that I live in the Apple universe of devices these days and, as has been stated elsewhere, do not want to jump through hoops to MAKE something work - it should just work on all my Apple devices... obviously. I would like to purchase the book in iTunes so I can read it on my phone if I want to and on my Mac if I want to... all Apple devices registered to my account. It doesn't seem like a big ask and it does seem an odd situation.

----------

Would preview or goodreader allow you to read a book purchased through iTunes that has DRM protection?