No iChat in 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pak14life, Jun 13, 2010.

1. pak14life macrumors member

I was a bit dissapointed that apple didnt roll out an official ichat app for the iphone especially after devs hadseen references to it in the 4.0 code.

2. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

its not an app...

Its only for ip4 to ip4 calling. When you make a call to a ip4 a facetime button replaces where the hold button was.

EDIT: n/m I think i misunderstood what you were trying to say at first. I gotcha now :)

3. JReinn macrumors member

iChat is probably another name for the FaceTime app, don't you think?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Do you know what iChat is?

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. There is no FaceTime app (unless you're talking about Phone.ipa and Contacts.ipa) and iChat is the name for the instant messengering program in Mac OS.

5. Khryz macrumors 6502a

FaceTime is cool but it would've been pretty earth-shattering if the front-camera was used for video chatting in iChat.

FaceTime uses your minutes correct? Whereas iChat for your desktop doesn't require you actually call them - just IM them. I thought that was the route they were going, but I guess they still could in the future.

6. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

thats what I assume. Although it would have been cool to get an iChat app and be able to communicate with macbooks and the like.

7. andrewb21 macrumors member

You don't have to use minutes in order to make/receive a Facetime call. You can do it from the screen options after calling someone, or you can go into the contact and initiate it by pressing "Facetime" without ever calling, going that route is entirely WiFi.

8. euphrus macrumors member

the app store is already filled with instant messaging apps such as skype so ichat would sort of be useless, and facetime is an extremely simple implementation of video calling...so i think facetime is better to have than ichat

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

But you can't video chat with those instant messaging applications. Facetime is cool and all, but when the iPhone launches it won't be very useful considering I'll only be able to video chat with someone else that I KNOW who has an iPhone 4. I hope they allow video chatting with people on computers how iChat works.

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

ichat is also another name for aim on a mac it uses that system. apple is leaving that up to that particular app (there is an aim app). Just like skype they will update that app for video calling, idk if it will be able to be used over 3g but it still would be nice. and that app could communicate with another user on a computer. along with multi tasking someone could be signed in most of the time and not really need face time. this is a really weird and complicated mater LOL:D

and ps its not only iphone to iphone (now it its) but apple made it a open industry standard, so other phones could use it but it probably wont be like that because others rather compete with apple than embrace them LOL

11. max-power macrumors member

I think, what people want is some sort of BBM rival, something that is already implemented/installed/integrated in the OS, its fine having all these messaging apps, but when you want to use them you need to make sure everyone has it, so a standard is needed.

Then i guess instead of everyone running around asking for peoples PINs, they'll be asking for iPINs instead lol

12. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

Has that been confirmed? Does it not just call them and initiate a FaceTime chat instantly?

I can't understand why you could just do it for free (no minutes used) from within contacts when if you press it during a call you are still using your minutes.

My thoughts are that the call still takes place to carry the voice and its just the video that is sent via wifi.

13. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

It's part of the phone app, it's not really supposed to be iChat like on the Mac. I wonder if you have to use minutes for FaceTime.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm assuming that iChat for the Mac will soon be updated so that it can connect with the iPhone's Facetime.

This is a Mac iChat issue. Not an iPhone issue.

There is ZERO need for 'iChat for iPhone.'

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Coming in OS 10.7. It seems like Apple is done adding new features to existing operating systems.

16. max-power macrumors member

It was explained in the keynote, Facetime will only be available if both party's are connected via wifi, Jobs said it will eventually work over the GSM network but later in the year or even next year.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm sure AT&T will implement it as fast as they got tethering working on the iPhone.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Traditionally, yes, but if it helps create more of a reason for iPhone users to buy Macs (and vise versa) then they could make an exception in this case.

After all, they keep giving us new versions of Safari even though that's a "comes with the OS" bit of software. Why? Because it helps them in their war-for-HTML5. If there's a reason to do it, they'll update software between OS releases.

Ha ha...

What's "the" GSM network you're talking about? My guess? One or two European countries. Is that what you meant by "the" network?

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Very good point. That raises the question, would Apple benefit from everyone using their implementation of video calls in the same way they benefit from people using Safari? Does Apple think that video calls will be a major form of communication in the future? I'm not so sure, I see it as a gimmick and not many people will use it, but only time will tell.

20. max-power macrumors member

wtf are you talking about? the GSM network is the standard that 80% of mobile phones use. When I said "the" GSM network, I was referring to that FaceTime won't be restricted to use only wifi.

Hah yeh. My guess it won't be popular. I remember back in 2003-2005, when the mobile network providers were upgrading to 3G and all of a sudden all of the new mobiles had front facing cameras because the new "3G" connection will change the way we communicate by video conversations. I don't think I know anyone who has ever used it.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't think they know either. But what they DO know is they don't want the standard to become "Google-Vid" or "Microsoft-Face" or whatever. Apple will push this new standard they've made so that others build it into their phones just so no other company moves in with their own proprietary format and makes it the new standard.

So they'll push their own standard just so that it becomes the standard. That's their only goal.

If video-chatting becomes popular, great. If no one wants it and the whole thing withers and dies. Oh well, no huge loss.

And my point is that you were making an awfully huge assumption in saying it will happen this year. No one promised that. No, you're just guessing it will happen. But that's all it is. A guess. It's not a fact.

As Tuff, pointed out, it took AT&T a long time to offer tethering. I'm guessing that video-chatting on GSM will take just as long. Not "this year" by any means.