Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Through sound reasoning I have decided that it is very unlikely iChat will be updated at MWSF.

Heres why: At MWSF Apple is going to start charging for iApps, probably iDVD, iMovie, and iPhoto... Possibly but less likely iTunes. Not wanting to confuse customers with which iApps they had to pay for and which they didnt Apple decided to eliminate the confusion of releasing updates by updating iSync and iCal a couple days ago. If Apple planned to release any other free iApp updates in early January it would have been done the other day, rather than at MWSF.

EDIT: You could say that iChat could be a pay update, but its just not likely. Think about it, why would anyone pay for iChat when all other messaging clients, such as AIM, are free?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by Tommy!
I wouldn't use iChat if apple paid me .

Wow that's productive... The point of this thread wasn't to discuss your personal views on the application.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
That's a viewpoint I haven't thought about. It does make sense. But why is Apple only going to charge for certain iApps and not all of them? Are they just waiting until more people start using them and then start charging...seems to be the track record as of late (if they do charge for iApps). Also, do you think that the iApps upgrade will still be a part of an OS paid upgreade. I didn't complain about the price of 10.2 but if their next paid upgrade is still $129.00 and the iApps aren't included...it's too much.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by jholzner
Also, do you think that the iApps upgrade will still be a part of an OS paid upgreade. I didn't complain about the price of 10.2 but if their next paid upgrade is still $129.00 and the iApps aren't included...it's too much.

If I were to guess, I would say iApp upgrades will still be included in the $129 OS upgrades, but will cost probably $30 (Though thinksecret says $50), if purchased seperately.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Some iApps aren't included on the OS X CDs. They're included with the machine and on the restore Discs that come with the machine.

So while some iApps will come with OS X upgrades, some will still have to be gotten/upgraded seperatly. iDVD is definatly one of these.

As for the most recent upgrade of iDVD, it was either a free download or $20 for Apple to ship you a CD. Which in my opinion is a reasonable charge for those who didn't want to download it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.