No icon when installing new programs.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I get this each time i install something new:

So i have to manually remove the icon and drag it again in the apps folder and the icon appears. Is that normal?

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Uh, no, that's not normal. (never happens for me - using Leopard)

Are you looking for a solution? If so, more details are needed.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Uh, no, that's not normal.

Are you looking for a solution? If so, more details are needed.
What details do you need?

That happens to me, it dissapears after I have run the program once, and it only appears for apps installed of the internet.
What do you mean by installed of the internet?

Anyway after you run the program once, then close it, the icon appears. Boring tho..

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think that should be off, not of the internet.

Oh boy, what details? ...like any instead of none!

And, in the same vein as your inability to understand what the other poster wrote, do you mean into instead of in the applications folder?

The situation described by the other poster provides at least one detail, but probably needs more before anyone can help.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I think that should be off, not of the internet.

Oh boy, what details? ...like any instead of none!

And, in the same vein as your inability to understand what the other poster wrote, do you mean into instead of in the applications folder?

The situation described by the other poster provides at least one detail, but probably needs more before anyone can help.
I don't know what details you want, i'll describe my problem better perhaps..
Using snow leopard on macbook pro 5.3
Almost every app i install (i mount DMG files and autorun popsup where you can drag n drop the icon into the application folder, i drag it and it's done) if i go to the applications menu (the one near the trash) and open it, the icon of the installed app is blank. This happens for drag n drop installs only.

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Much better. Maybe someone can help now. I don't have SL or a MacBook. It could be a SL bug. You should have specified which release of SL. I hear that Apple is working on 10.6.3 now. (no surprise there)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
no one else having the same problem?
Okay, I have no idea why the other posters were giving you such a hassle over this. What you're experiencing is not a "problem" per say with your OS X install, it's always been like this since Leopard. Most newly installed apps will show the circle with a line through it when using Stacks in Grid View. Launching it and quitting the app several times does nothing. A simple logout and login will restore the icon. I have no idea why Apple hasn't corrected this in Stacks but that's going on and the solution for it.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Okay, I have no idea why the other posters were giving you such a hassle over this. What you're experiencing is not a "problem" per say with your OS X install, it's always been like this since Leopard. Most newly installed apps will show the circle with a line through it when using Stacks in Grid View. Launching it and quitting the app several times does nothing. A simple logout and login will restore the icon. I have no idea why Apple hasn't corrected this in Stacks but that's going on and the solution for it.
Finally a proper answer; thank you!

bakerster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
i've got the same "issue?"..

once I run the program once the app icon shows up no questions asked.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I found a different solution: I drag the app on desktop, then browse the application dir and drag it into. This way the icon is working.

Corrode

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Noticed after 10.6.2 but I might not have used stacks that much until then, so that might be why I hadn't noticed. Either way, the icon appears after a reboot. I wouldn't worry too much about it, although it is an odd problem.