no icons/no desktop on Imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cleetusvandamm, Dec 15, 2008.

1. cleetusvandamm macrumors member

Powered up my Imac today..goes through the usual gyrations get to a blue background but no icons present..not locked just no icons and cannot pull down any menus..
    ran disk utility off off OSX cd..it fixed some block count on a .pub file but still get same thing after restart..
    new to Mac and not to impressed as its only two weeks old

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like file system damage. Run Disk Utility again, until it tells you one of these two messages:
    "The volume appears to be OK" or "The underlying task reported failure on exit".

3. cleetusvandamm thread starter macrumors member

so just so im reading this right..you say to keep running the disk utility until I get one of those messages?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're going to get one on the first go-through. Choose "Verify Disk" to get your result.

5. cleetusvandamm thread starter macrumors member

i did all this before I posted though..the first run through it found the bad block count on the .pub file..it repaired then did another run through autiomatically to verify the repair..it the reported nothing was wrong with the volume..at that point I restarted and still got the same issue
    not sure what continually running the disk utility at this point will buy me
    I really hate to have to re-install the OS if thats my only option at this point

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're right - rerunning Disk Utility won't do any good. You've eliminated file system damage, so the next thing to try is doing a Safe Boot. To do this, hold down Shift while the Mac starts, until you see the words "Safe Boot" on the screen. If your Mac gets past the blue screen in Safe Boot mode, the most likely cause is a kernel extension incompatible with the version of Mac OS X you have installed.

7. cleetusvandamm thread starter macrumors member

ok ill give that a shot..not by the IMAC right now so Ill give it a try later this afternoon and report back

8. cleetusvandamm thread starter macrumors member

could not get into safe mode at all..ended up doing an archive and install which fixed it..looks like it was caused by application enhancer being installed by Audio Hijack so...
    anyone know of a good alternative Audio Hijack?