No idea what my computer is worth.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Supbigfoot, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supbigfoot macrumors newbie

I purchased a MacBook Pro in the fall off 2012.
    The specs are
    -intel 17-2760QM 2.40GHZ

-12 gb of ram

-two 750gb hard drives one running at the faster 7200rpm
    (I have one of those mounts that replace the optical bay with a hard drive)

-intel 4000 graphics with 512mb of dedicated graphics ( Im currently running windows and it says amd Radeon HD 6700m series)

the computer has some regular light wear and tear, with a one slight indent near the power indicator led, and slight scratch on the shell at the top right of the screen.

I installed the addition hard-drive, and will offer it with the original cd disk drive in a usb portable enclosure.

im thinking $1,600 Canadian.
    am i right?

second is why.
    I'm majoring in computer science and i love gaming. Apple has been a brand I have always loved and invested a'lot of money into( itunes, apps, ect).
    I cant afford the retina with the graphics card I need to play the games I want to. I have moved to android, and have a love, hate relationship with the device. Is it worth selling my macbook, and will I be able to get a decent gaming laptop in return.

thanks for the advice, and sorry about spelling and grammer not my strongest area.

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Assuming US/CAN $ parity, that price seems high for a 2012 uMPB-15. You can buy a 2012 base rMBP-15 for that.

$US1300 is probably right, but I wouldn't pay that much.

>

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I would say around $1,400 max. I would advise you to remove the second HDD and reinstall the optical drive; most people are reluctant to purchase "modified" used laptops, especially MacBooks.

4. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I agree that you should put back the cd drive. It's not adding value anyway. Keep in mind; nobody really cares that you upgraded the components -- it's value mostly determined by it's model identifier and non-upgradeable hardware like the CPU and GPU. The next buyer can upgrade the RAM and HD themselves for pretty cheap, which is why it doesn't really add to the value you'll be able to get.

It also doesn't matter that you bought it in the fall of 2012. It's worth the same as any June 2012 MBP given the same condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.