Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Just though you guys should know...try to sign in from ie and you get a fat warning message.

Of course, this is CLASSIC Apple at work here. However, this being an Apple forum, I doubt many people lack the blinders to see it. But this is basically JUST like the iTunes debacle when Vista was first released and they would support the OS for several months. And then when the iPhone1 was released and they wouldn't support Vista x64 for months. And now when MobileMe (aka: iFail) they say they don't support microsoft's browser.

All of this is done to create the air of unhappiness and suspicion with Microsoft. People think, "Well Vista is such a POS, Apple can't even get their software to work properly on it! Woe is Apple!" Wrong.

So will MobileMe work with ie at work? Well...probably...but putting a big warning sign everytime you start up the largest and most widely used browser in the world sure is one way to make your competitor look bad--if you're 4 years old that is.

They attack Microsft with their childish commercials and their software...but in the end, it's the end users that suffer.

/rant

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Works fine in Firefox and Safari for Windows. Why blame Apple for an Microsoft IE problem?

thats false, if yahoo mail can do IE6, apple should be able to too.

I know apple is technologically weak, but there is no point risking 300million potentials.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 156

snakedoctor

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Wow the genius being posted here is good stuff.

First off there is a warning, but guess what most of its works. Second you should count your self lucky you can get to ANY webmail from work, most US corporations block it for many reasons theses days.

For your information, Zune software did not work on Vista 64 for the first year, and MS makes Zune and Vista. I guess Apple was more compatible with iTunes than MS was with Zune.

IE6 and IE7 have problems with web sites that use TRUE standards, but support the MS way of the web coding with out a problem. Yes Yahoo and others code for IE6/7 because so many people have it.

That said IE8 will finally follow true web standards and MS has already said that IE8 will have problems with many non-standard websites but they have a fall back mode (IE7) they have created so IE8 can switch back to it, at a performance hit.

So to the OP, IE7 does work for the most part with me.com, IE is now at 73% market share so IE7 compatibility is less important, until MobileME and its new Ajax components, 98% of .Mac users were Mac owners, your lucky you even get webmail of any kind at work, and MS is less compliant on Vista with its own media software than Apple was with Vista, yet iTunes is 100% compliant with OSX.

snakedoctor

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
well, i would think its bug, my impression is this crap is officially support IE7.

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/1072-apples-mobileme-drops-support-for-ie-6

of course, if apple isn't capable of doing it, or want to make a statement of some sort......

Yep it syncs IE bookmarks or favorites or whatever IE users call it.

I have used IE7 to login to me.com and it worked for reading, composing, sending, deleting, viewing my contacts, calendar. I could not find what did not work.

Perhaps dragging and dropping of messages into folders does not work, I did not try that.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
IE6 and IE7 have problems with web sites that use TRUE standards, but support the MS way of the web coding with out a problem. Yes Yahoo and others code for IE6/7 because so many people have it.

That said IE8 will finally follow true web standards

So to the OP, IE7 does work for the most part with me.com, IE is now at 73% market share so IE7 compatibility is less important, until MobileME and its new Ajax components

its simply a business decision, there is really no point of portraying this has anything to do with standard. If it can support IE7 (at least officially), why not IE6, where is the standard difference that are so huge apple can't remedy? IE6 has 36% market, its unreasonable to do so.

also, don't expect too much improvement on standard side with IE8. It will be much better, not not in javascript.

73% marketshare is less important? and 5% is very important?......

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
It works both ways. I'd KILL for a stable IE7 for my Mac. I need it at work. I do have a workaround, or could go VM, but it'd be nice to have a native version.

eyephone

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I got the message too in IE7, but all works smoothly, but as of today I feel that me.com is finally running faster in Safari for windows.

If your work is running IE6, it is probably a server deployed browser, and chances are they have an exchange server. If they do, drop the mobileme for the exchange support that has been put into the new 2.0 software?

snakedoctor

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
its simply a business decision, there is really no point of portraying this has anything to do with standard. If it can support IE7 (at least officially), why not IE6, where is the standard difference that are so huge apple can't remedy? IE6 has 36% market, its unreasonable to do so.

also, don't expect too much improvement on standard side with IE8. It will be much better, not not in javascript.

73% marketshare is less important? and 5% is very important?......

.Mac was 98%+ Mac users. 100% of Mac users dont use IE.

That is not going to change overnight. The target here is iPhone users that are not Mac users, that might want to use .Mac. We are talking a small percentage of people.

To be honest I see it aimed as making more switchers or to accommodate Mac users when they are "forced" to use Windows/PC. MobileMe with Outlook works, buts its not as elegant as Mail/Address/iCal.

My wife is a perfect example. She has used Outlook 2007 with her pop account, and it works well. Well I added her shortly before MobileMe rolled out and IMAP folders along with PST folders in Outlook looks ugly. You cant get rid of the "inbox" in the PST you must create, and use for its Calendar, and contacts. So you have an Inbox, sent items, deleted items, outbox, drafts and stuff you dont need, as you use those folders on the MobileMe IMAP server. You cant get rid of them, and its confusing for her, and its a down right ugly mess.

She has been leaning towards a Mac, MobileMe and her iTouch that she loves are pushing her to become a switcher.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
.Mac was 98%+ Mac users. 100% of Mac users dont use IE.

The target here is iPhone users that are not Mac users, that might want to use .Mac. We are talking a small percentage of people.

To be honest I see it aimed as making more switchers or to accommodate Mac users when they are "forced" to use Windows/PC.

That might well be the case. But apple should be careful of its PR so it doesn't get too many people upset after they pay.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
thats false, if yahoo mail can do IE6, apple should be able to too.

I know apple is technologically weak, but there is no point risking 300million potentials.

If MS does not support the Web2.0 standard that Apple chose to follow, then it's not Apples fault.

Apple technologically weak? Please give a few details that would justify that statement.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
If MS does not support the Web2.0 standard that Apple chose to follow, then it's not Apples fault.

Apple technologically weak? Please give a few details that would justify that statement.

you, my friend, need to read some wikis.

Although M$ is lousy at CSS and other techs. AJAX is not one of them, IE was the first to do it.

Like I said. there is no technical difficulties, support IE7 but not IE6 is a business decision, or you can choose to tell me whats the standard related difference between IE6 and IE7 that apple can't overcome.

PS. there is no such thing as web 2.0 standard. again, read more related wikis will help you learn more about these stuff.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
you, my friend, need to read some wikis.

Although M$ is lousy at CSS and other techs. AJAX is not one of them, IE was the first to do it.

Like I said. there is no technical difficulties, support IE7 but not IE6 is a business decision, or you can choose to tell me whats the standard related difference between IE6 and IE7 that apple can't overcome.

PS. there is no such thing as web 2.0 standard. again, read more related wikis will help you learn more about these stuff.

Thanks for making me your friend. The message that pops up from IE 7 is

"Internet Explorer 7 has known compatibility issues with modern web standards which affect Web 2.0 applications such as MobileMe"

If you don't want to call it a standard (ie an environment that supports Web 2.0 apps) and live & die by Wikipedia more power to you. Apple appears to think it is a standard on which Web 2.0 applications are built. If you want to challenge Apples definitions, please feel free to send an email to sjobs@apple.com.

Ashims

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
As a Web 2.0 developer I'd say that the ie stuff is all probably kneejerk reactions to all the problems they've been having. Lets be honest, me.com wasn't ready to go live.

Now you can achieve pretty much anything you need to on IE if you have the time-- But with the problems they've been having...

To give you an idea, I allow 200% of the time it takes to develop an initial standards compliant site frontend (design & client scripting)-- to tweak it for working in the IE's. Its almost not worth developing for, even with the massive install base. This is why we web developers tend to have problems with the big M$.

So in the context of the MobMe debacle, its probably them trying to make it look like they were more ready then they actually were, after having their software fall over at the last minute. Hopefully all this junk will be fixed in the next few weeks. Still very disappointing.

Nothing any more yelling will do tho-- The poor guys are almost certainly not sleeping at the moment. Good luck to em I say. Lols.

Cheers.
Ash.

Also... to those who say this is a business decision-- I'd have to disagree. That's not to say I dont think apple do this-- they do it all the time. I just don't see them getting any significant benefit from having their applications not working on a platform they've advertised as supporting. There are far better explanations for the lack of support, for example, mine above. :).

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Yup...let me confirm...no MMe at work:

Error message:
"We recommend the following browsers.
To make use of rich web applications in MobileMe, we recommend one of the following supported browsers:
Safari 3 or later (Mac / PC)
Firefox 2 or later (Mac / PC)
Update your browser now to access your email, calendar, contacts, and more at me.com
Questions? Go to MobileMe Support "

Cudadown

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
That one little requirement just made my .mac/mobileme account worthless. I've only been paying the 99.00 a year for the ability to access iDisk and Mail account from work. Can't change the work computer so I am scewed. Nice while it lasted I guess.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I don't care about full MobileMe access at work. I just want to me able to access my MobileMe e-mail at work. .Mac had a classic version that ran on pretty much any browser which was a selectable option in addition to the "full" version. E-mail is a very basic thing that doesn't require Web 2.0 and heavy JavaScript/Java. Apple should provide a simple access to your webmail in addition to the glitzy MobileMe interface. I want to be able to check my e-mail on my non-iPhone phone and my work PC with IE 6.

This shouldn't be an issue for Apple. They wouldn't even have to do any additional coding or modifications as the site and structure for the classic interface has already been created. All they would really have to do is change the links.

As it stands, MobileMe is less "mobile" than .Mac...for me at least.

P.S. believe me, I would put Safari or Firefox (or even update IE) on my work PC if I was allowed. But that goes against company policy (installing outside software) and I could get in trouble. Hell, I'd even request a Mac if I could.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
"Internet Explorer 7 has known compatibility issues with modern web standards which affect Web 2.0 applications such as MobileMe"

lol, I do trust wiki, much more than I trust whatever information apple products throw at me.

AJAX, Web 2.0, JS2, google can do IE, yahoo can do IE, everybody can do IE, and apple can't? Get a reason, but not the fake one.

ewiley28

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Austin, TX
No way to defeat?

Really? No one's come up with a hack or work-around? All I want is to get one vcard out of contacts. I'm trying to decide if I want to just take screenshots of it with my phone or bother to go home so I can access it.

The real solution is to get portable firefox running on a thumbdrive, but I got burned when one died as a result of the frequent rewrites, so I need to work out a thumbdrive backup system first.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Works fine in Firefox and Safari for Windows. Why blame Apple for an Microsoft IE problem?
But it doesn't work in Firefox for Linux, or in IE6 and with only limited support in IE7. The Linux community alone is an ever-growing number of users that also cannot access the MobileMe website. So Apple wants to sell MobileMe to iPhone users, most of which don't have Macs, but they have locked out all Linux users, and many Windows users who cannot upgrade or change their browser due to company policy. Way to go, Apple! How could they miss something so huge? This is not a Microsoft problem, it is an Apple problem, pure and simple. If they want to sell to certain markets, they have to support those markets; others won't do it for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.