No iMac 2012 ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jockej, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jockej macrumors newbie

Hi iam new here.
    When I read the topics here I notice a lot of negative input against us that are new here

Well here is my thought about why we not have seen any new iMacs to today's date.
    When intels new processor was out on the market there was a lot complaining about it was to hot. They were not able to cool it down in a effective way.
    By now There must be a way to cool in down in the iMac form factor. But haswell will be out in April next year and if apple are to release a new iMac in September/October and then release a new iMac again in April I will piss a lot of people off (me for one).
    Haswell will be a great step in CPU technology and have a far better gpu on the same chip what I have read about haswell. Ivy bridge is just a new version of sandy bridge when haswell will be a new generation. (what I have read)

Sry for my bad English

Have a nice day.

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Releasing an iMac in October and then another in May would irritate me too. However, that's a better strategy for Apple than just waiting until May.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I think it's more likely that the 2013 iMac wouldn't have any real relation to the Haswell release date.

4. Jockej thread starter macrumors newbie

If they change the release date to fall/winter for iMacs in the future and intel continues to release new CPU platforms in the spring we will always have 1year old hardware between winter and spring.
    I would not like that. When I get a new computer I like to feel that I have current hardware and last gen.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I can't see Apple releasing an Ivy Bridge iMac in late 2012 and then a Haswell iMac in mid-2013.

Either we see Ivy Bridge later this year and then the iMac skips Haswell for Broadwell in 2014, or Apple waits mid-2013 to ship a Haswell iMac (so roughly two years from the original Sandy Bridge mid-2011 iMac)..

Broadwell is supposed to adopt the Multi-Chip Package (MCP) design, which could require a new motherboard from those using Haswell. I would think Apple could leverage the current iMac motherboard design using an Ivy Bridge CPU and chipset, so that might favor a 2012 update and then a new iMac in 2014.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Roughly 9 months had been the average before this year. Picking a date out of the air, say they put out Ivy Bridge iMacs with a slight redesign (the new antiglare screen) on October 9. That would set them up to do a big splash with Haswell, Retina, and major redesign at or around the 2013 WWDC, which would be 8 1/2 months away.