No iMac rumors at all, lame upgrade coming?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cypress822, Jun 19, 2012.

1. cypress822 macrumors regular

Interesting...before WWDC there were rumors flying around like crazy about everything mac.
    Now, that the iMac is the only non-updated item, there is not any word about a release date, items it might have, part numbers, or really much of anything from any of the mac sites...9to5mac, appleinsder, macworld, macrumors, etc.....nothing about the iMac at all.

One would think if the was going to be a substantial upgrade at all, there would be rumors as always. Ever since WWDC...nothing about the iMac. Are we going to see a lame update on the iMac like the mac pro???

It really seems to me that the iMac is all but non-existant in Apple's eyes. Daily, you see tons of information of the iphone, MB, MBP, ipad. But not a word about the iMac.

2. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

If the lame upgrade of the Mac Pro — after all this time — is anything to go by, yes.

3. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

- The Mac Mini is soon due for refresh too.

- There's leaked benchmarks that are considered legit.

- WWDC never was nor is about hardware.

- "Daily information" from Apple? Apple barely gives out any information, especially not about hardware.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I think it's pretty obvious that a lion's share of the design efforts from Apple went to the Retina MBP.

That's not necessarily a bad thing because when I look at the design of the RMBP I see a lot of features that could deliver a better iMac system.

Take the fan and piping structure and embiggen it and the future iMacs (i'm thinking 2013 on) might stay cooler with hotter processors or GPU. All the while being quieter as well.

I think the next generation of computers needs to.

A. Move to SSD in every computer and preferably on the PCI bus
    B. Mobile devices should begin to integrate LTE cellular technology
    C. Retina for all.

5. Aodhan macrumors regular

Four hundred-plus days without an iMac redesign or refresh. Think about that, it's quite extraordinary. At this point I think I would accept a simple refresh. Ivy Bridge processor and an upgraded graphics card would be just fine by me. Give me something so I can justify pulling out my credit card.

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Same here. Although I would like an iMac that levitates. Please, please make it levitate!

7. iMcLovin, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yes, its been awfully little info lately, despite the fact that its 400+ days.
    I find it strange how Apple handle their desktops nowadays, it´s like they enjoy watching their desktops dying a slow death and get completely passed by competitors. It even seems as if they intentionally want to make a bad reputation on The Mac Pro. - Lifehacker made a article on how to make better hackintosh hardware with much better specs for 1/4th of the price...I mean 1/4 for christ sake!!! ...ok Apples machines are sexy, but a 9 year old chassis and 2 year old spec isn´t so sexy anymore...There´s absolutely no good excuse for that, it´s close to stealing money from naive customers (I seriously hope it sells bad - I feel sorry for those who pay the full amount for that machine). And, at this point I think even apple should not be against Hackintosh machines anymore, as they don´t have anything equivalent to offer their desktop customers anymore.

I wonder if this is a result of a year without Steve Jobs, were focus has only been on portable iStuff and their top selling product lines. It seems as if most of Apples efforts now goes into upping market value, running a "healthy" business and improving in the most profitable areas. In my opinion the ripple effect from this can be quite negative in the long run. I mean it has nearly been released 3 Macbook Pros between last iMac update, and we still have no clue if anything is planned for the next months - it´s nearing a tragic situation were I don´t know what to expect from Apple anymore...I´m loosing faith in that steady flow they once had and Apple as a company feels more and more arrogant towards their loyal customers.

I seriously hope an iMac is just around the corner, if not I really don´t know what to do about it - I´m not caving and supporting their silly current release strategy by ordering an early 2011 machine...I expect to get more from my money than that, and I want a machine I can use professionally for 2-3 years without longing for something more powerful after just a few months.

But, from the latest disappointments I fear that machine is far away, ...still.
    If it´s out before September I would actually be positively surprised.

I hope someone in Apple reads this!! -though with their silent arrogance I assume they don´t care....as long as the iphones and ipads and laptops sells ******* loads.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I don't think the iMac really needs a 'substantial' upgrade. It was redesigned a little over two years ago.

I think Ivy Bridge, Kepler GPUs, and USB 3 would be pretty good updates. Maybe some sort of changeup with how they do SSDs, similar to the ones in the Air and in the RMBP.

That's the sort of update that could just show up on the Apple site any week.

9. IPlayFair macrumors member

10. MightyWhite macrumors member

I just want to buy one. It seems like a lot of people here are waiting to make the jump from pc to mac... Like me..

I would like a redesign just so you know it will "look new" for a while but really just the new processors will do me.. Retina would be beautiful but probably come at too steep a price....

I keep popping in the apple store contemplating buying a 2011. But I am a scardy cat. I hope they announce something soon

11. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Since the iMac's debut in 1998, there have been 17 major updates to the line. Form factor revisions, major internal architectural changes, and minor spec bumps. The longest a single iMac incarnation was in production was the first intel iMac, announced Jan 1st, 2006, and produced for 583 days. All of the other 16 versions of the iMac were in production for less days than the currect 2011 model, ranging from 81 days (G5 iSight) up to 407 days (G5). We are definitely out of the normal bounds for a refresh. Expect the refresh soon (I'm banking on a coincidal release with Mountain Lion) or never. If it's not soon, it's because they've got something else planned, and we'll just have to wait and see what it is.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

The only major change they need, imo, is moving the hard drive to an accessible location like the RAM modules.

CPU/CPU/RAM are obvious minor upgrades that are certain to happen this year.

Retina not so likely.

13. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

For some time I've mulled over a computer that would do exactly that. Magnetic levitation would emphasize the complete absence of wiring: WiFi, Bluetooth, OTA HDTV video, inductive power. Think of a softly glowing white cube, maybe 3-4" a side, lazily floating & rotating over a nondescript surface. Inside the sealed surface would be minimal, but not insignificant, processing & storage & GPU.

14. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I've just been watching the 2007 Walt Mossberg/Steve Jobs session at D5, and Steve Jobs says quite explicitly that he sees a future when laptops are 90% of Apple's Mac business. I think with the lame MacBook Pro and non-existent iMac updates, we're seeing that shift come to pass. No one should be getting their hopes up for a major new iMac form factor. The desktop, as far as Apple is concerned, has had its day.

15. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Sadly you are probably right. Though I cannot understand how everyone wants to carry their machines around with tiny monitors...who wants to do heavy graphical and sound work on a laptop?? -I guess Apple thinks of a future without artists and musicians and video editors - just hobbyists. For me, I use my laptops strictly for casual use, and the ipad is taking more and more over that area now. I may not even buy a new laptop after the current air I have now is dead...though, unless I have to, because apple axed their desktop line. Would be a tragic future. I love a huge monitor and and comfy well thought through working environment.

16. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Apple's definition of desktop computing ... a laptop and a TBD.

17. dmorgan macrumors member

Which sucks because it ends up being so expensive.

18. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I thnk Apple's long term plan is to cede the desktop realm to their competitors and focus on mobile devices, which for them includes laptops. The Mini and iMac will probably be aroudn for a while, but not receive major redesigns beyond processor bumps. I would not be shocked if the Mac Pro went the way of the dodo.
    While you would think Apple would want to court corporate and professional customers, I believe they make a higher margin on consumer market gear.
    I know that my company is able to negotiate a 10-20% discount with every one of our suppliers. Even Apple (because we are huge!). If you compare that to the tiny discounts Apple give for educational buyers, you get an idea of how highly they value their margins.

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Well now you know what the Mac pro camp has been complaining about. I think some sort of imac refresh will pop soon, but as others have said above, the desktop's days are numbered, like it or not.

I find it strange how Apple handle their desktops nowadays, it´s like they enjoy watching their desktops dying a slow death and get completely passed by competitors. It even seems as if they intentionally want to make a bad reputation on The Mac Pro.

20. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I planning to upgrade to the new iMac when is 2013 to a 21" or 24" if they jump up the size, Since is it his a higher resolution so a smaller size will be fine for me, Looking forward to a Retina Display, and usb 3.0/2.0, and a bigger size SSD the 512 GB possibility, and thinner screen size, and any other new features looking forward to it. :D

21. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

What about the fact that apple keeping thier secrets tighter? We found out some evidence of new mac through source coding on software. Maybe apple are changing it so thier new macs are ready to be released with a bit more surprised audience, and a little less anticipated.

22. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

I hope you don't mean that no redesign = lame. People take for granted Apple designs. Sure if a pc gets an upgrade it is going to be better. Apple already make the coolest looking stuff in the world. An upgrade is just another choice of design to me, nothing cooler. I am quite happy with the way the current iMac looks and would gladly buy it with new specs. Would love to see what the redesign looks like though of course :)

----------

If so they better drop the price on MBP + 27" Display or only the most extreme apple fans are going to be their only customers in the computer market :p

23. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Forgot to say that Tim Cook said that they will double on secrecy. Or maybe he just missed that one!

24. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Don't forget it's awfully hard to loose an iMac in a bar. Macs are just generally easier to keep quiet, because they can be tested internally with little fuss. The iMac is not dead. When it gets past the 600 day mark, then you can worry.

25. Scythe5 macrumors regular

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the iMacs were selling pretty well. The mini's....I can understand killing those off, but the iMacs?

It has been pretty quite on the iMac front since WWDC, but I wonder if it's more a case of people not wanting to speculate after getting burned at WWDC with their previous predictions. It seemed everyone was saying a new iMac was coming and NOPE.

There seems to be enough credible evidence that there will be a refresh this year - it just doesn't have a date associated with it. ML will be released in July, perhaps with an upgraded iMac, but to my knowledge there is no date.

I honestly cannot see apple waiting 700 (ish) days between iMacs. I mean if a redesigned iMac is coming in 2013, it will probably be released in the 2nd quarter. That's 10 months or so. That's a long time to be selling a non upgraded (refreshed) computer. Even if it's a 1st quarter release, thats still 600 (ish) days.....Again, I don't see them waiting that long between refreshes.