No iMac upgrade, what dose it mean for my buying options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DELTAsnake, Jan 7, 2009.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I was waiting for the Phillnote to buy my first Mac. I want to get an iMac, now I'm wondering since the iMac didn't get updated dose that mean there not going to update it and leave it be like the Mac Mini?

Ultimatly, where dose this leave me? Do I have to just be patiant and wait or is Apple abondoning the desktops since the Mini hasn't been updated in a long time and it's been a year since the Pro was updated?

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Don't jump too conclusions too quickly. Apple isn't doing anything to their desktop line. Yes, notebooks are selling like hotcakes, but desktops aren't going to go anywhere for a long time.

The Mac Mini is probably (and that's a tentative probably) going to get updated. I think the lack of any announcement was surprising for all of us. I would expect this update to happen within the next 3 months. If not, I don't know what to think. The rumors flying around sounded pretty solid, and the Mac Mini is in such a dire need of a update that we all thought it was a bit of a no brainer.

On the iMac front: it was last updated in April. That's not really too long ago, and it was released with a modified bus similar to Nahalem. They're calling for a new chipset, but unless they do some other updates (maybe the graphics card?), I don't see it benefitting much. Then again, an update is probably just around the corner saying as how it seems to get a moderate refresh about every 9 months.

What this all boils down to is... just be patient a little while longer. Really, you could've skipped all that rumor mongering just to hear that. Your updates will come, hopefully all before April. Unless your computer is ancient you should be able to wait it out.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you need one now, buy one, the new ones wont be much better when and if they come out, probably slight speed bumps. If you really want to wait, i think you'll be waiting about 4/5 months until Snow Leopard comes at WWDC.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

^What the blues fan said, and it's been three Januarys since any iMac updates have come at this time of year.