Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I do have the slight feeling that after the launch of the MacStudio and the MacDisplay there might not be an iMacPro afterall... or?

Claudius2k

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Oh good, there is an OLD iMac computer sale. How attractive. Big mistake. Apple has lost its styling.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The product strategy is becoming clear now. The "Consumer" level computers like the 24" iMac and the Mini will get the regular M1 (then M2) chips. They get rid of the mid-range stuff like the 27" iMac and what people consider the Mini pro, and then use the Pro/Max/Ultra chips for the truly "Pro" machines. I suspect the same will eventually go for the laptops.

Reactions: zoran

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Why would you need an iMac Pro now? Isnˋt the Mac Studio + Studio Display better and cheaper in almost every way?
Better, yes. Cheaper, not even close. But for most "pro" users, it's not about the cost, it's about the value and flexibility—which the Studio provides much more of.

I loved the 27" iMac, but it always bothered me that I would be completely hosed if just the monitor flaked out... I would have to send the entire computer in for repairs. And because the stand wasn't height adjustable, it was difficult to pair it with other monitors to get just the right height for me. And if you wanted to wall/arm mount it, you had to make that decision at the time of purchase and couldn't switch back to a standard stand if you changed your mind.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think the iMac looks better but inferior in every other way. It’s not even cheaper because when you want to upgrade to a newer model you have to buy the monitor again. Also for transporting when traveling and for repair

Reactions: blairh

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Better, yes. Cheaper, not even close. But for most "pro" users, it's not about the cost, it's about the value and flexibility—which the Studio provides much more of.

I loved the 27" iMac, but it always bothered me that I would be completely hosed if just the monitor flaked out... I would have to send the entire computer in for repairs. And because the stand wasn't height adjustable, it was difficult to pair it with other monitors to get just the right height for me. And if you wanted to wall/arm mount it, you had to make that decision at the time of purchase and couldn't switch back to a standard stand if you changed your mind.
What do you mean "not even close"? iMac Pro started at $5000.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
What do you mean "not even close"? iMac Pro started at $5000.
The iMac Pro was a temporary replacement for the Mac Pro, not the standard 27" iMac. So I don't see it as a good comparison. When you compare it to a standard 27" iMac, the Studio is more expensive, but a much better value (in my opinion).

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Bah I think getting rid of the 27" iMac is a mistake. In any case my 2015 is still going strong.
My mid2010 27" is going pretty good too and i wouldn't think of upgrading, but some of its parts are beginning to have issues and this is worrying because its not easy to find replacements :(

Reactions: decafjava

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
The iMac Pro was a temporary replacement for the Mac Pro, not the standard 27" iMac. So I don't see it as a good comparison. When you compare it to a standard 27" iMac, the Studio is more expensive, but a much better value (in my opinion).
Okay, but this is about the iMac Pro and so I compared it to that machine. Don't know why you're suddenly comparing it to the regular 27" iMac. ?‍♂️

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I think Apple has done the right thing in letting the iMac line return to its roots as a stylish mainline consumer machine.

With the new display combined with a Mini, Studio/Max, or Studio/Ultra they have a much more flexible (better IMHO) family of devices that easily replace the 27" iMac & iMac Pro.

Reactions: Ap0ks

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Bah I think getting rid of the 27" iMac is a mistake. In any case my 2015 is still going strong.
Oop posted this in the wrong thread, still stand by this though. OTOH I do think the Mac Studio is a better option than the iMac Pro was.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There IS a new "iMac Pro".
Except that now it comes in TWO pieces instead of one (Mac Studio + 27" display)...:mad:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Kuo has a rumor on it so possible but pretty clear it's not this year if ever. They said Mac Pro is last to transition which would make sense as they still sell the Intel Mac Pro. The iMac Pro has been discontinued for a year now so it doesn't need to be transitioned anymore since it doesn't exist currently.

Now maybe Q4 next year they end up releasing a new iMac Pro....who knows? But it's clear it's not something you should be holding out for if it happens in the next few years.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Apple's use of the word "Pro" is somewhat of an industry joke that so many people just don't get. The iMac Pro was a beast of a machine. I use one at my office every day for print and web design and I still think it was the best Mac ever produced in its time. But it's not a "pro" machine by the standards of any pro I know of.

BUT, that's because the company I work for is notoriously cheap when it comes to "add-ons and upgrades." The reality is that very high-end users want to add multiple monitors (usually the same brand, size & resolution), and most I know want to keep the computer on the floor (or wherever) and not have a ton of cables hanging off the back of their desk. They also want to be able to upgrade the RAM and SSD themselves, etc.

The iMac form factor is spectacular for consumers or people like me who are working professionals, but simply don't need the power and (real or perceived) modularity of a Mac Pro. But nothing about the iMac is truly "pro."

That doesn't mean pros or consumers will or won't use it. Someone who writes blogs for a living is a "pro" - but they can get away with a base model MacBook Air – which nobody in their right mind would consider a "pro" machine.

When it comes to Apple, all "Pro" means is "better" and of course "higher margin product."

Reactions: dwig and zoran

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Apple's use of the word "Pro" is somewhat of an industry joke that so many people just don't get. The iMac Pro was a beast of a machine. I use one at my office every day for print and web design and I still think it was the best Mac ever produced in its time. But it's not a "pro" machine by the standards of any pro I know of.

BUT, that's because the company I work for is notoriously cheap when it comes to "add-ons and upgrades." The reality is that very high-end users want to add multiple monitors (usually the same brand, size & resolution), and most I know want to keep the computer on the floor (or wherever) and not have a ton of cables hanging off the back of their desk. They also want to be able to upgrade the RAM and SSD themselves, etc.

The iMac form factor is spectacular for consumers or people like me who are working professionals, but simply don't need the power and (real or perceived) modularity of a Mac Pro. But nothing about the iMac is truly "pro."

That doesn't mean pros or consumers will or won't use it. Someone who writes blogs for a living is a "pro" - but they can get away with a base model MacBook Air – which nobody in their right mind would consider a "pro" machine.

When it comes to Apple, all "Pro" means is "better" and of course "higher margin product."

Well I would say there is one "pro" thing about the iMac Pro and that was the workstation grade Xeons and ECC memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.