iPad No in Store Pick ups until Noon tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Markiie, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

Looks like 9 to 5 Mac is reporting this. Time to go line up early tomorrow.

2. Guitarpik macrumors member

3. JoshS macrumors member

Here's the article... I don't interpret it that way...

"While Apple Stores across the United States are expected to have significant amounts of supply for the iPad Air, some Apple Stores have been told to allocate a smaller number of devices for purchases handled in the early morning.

For example, depending on the store and market size, a few dozen to several dozen units of each model in every color and internet-connectivity option will be allocated for purchases before 12 noon.

Once the store-specific sales number for morning purchases is hit, some stores will not offer those certain models until later in the day or via Personal Pickup…

After 12, Apple will start processing purchases conducted via Personal Pickup. The unallocated inventory of iPad Airs will be used for Personal Pickup. Additionally, the rest of the inventory will be utilized for walk-in-purchases later in the day on Friday. Apple is also excepted to stock up on iPad Air supply for later in the launch weekend and for next week.

This process by Apple is does seem designed to create artificial constraints, but more of a way to ensure that all customers, including those that reserved through Personal Pickup, have the ability to purchase an iPad Air if they come in late Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or any other day in the near-future. Apple CEO Tim Cook previously said that some customers may not find an iPad Air on launch day.
    "

4. Avenger macrumors 6502

5. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Exactly.

Here's hoping when you place your order, you receive confirmation whether or not you can pick it up the same day at the store of your choosing.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I would re-write the article like:

"Apple plans to sell iPads to whoever pays for them first. Either online or at the store, a customer requesting to purchase an iPad will be sold one if one is available."

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Since this whole "in store pickup" nonsense started, I kept saying apple or best buy aren't going to screw the people waiting in line over those who just did in store pickup

8. Dizzy810 macrumors member

You say that, but they're also not going to screw over the people who have already PAID for their iPads with in store pickup. It is not a reservation. It is an actual purchase. They can't sell you one and then say "never mind" when you arrive to pick it up. If at the time of the purchase it says same day pickup they can't go back on that. If they do they are acting in bad faith and breaking the law. Mistakes can happen, but they can't do it as a business plan.

9. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

It's not breaking the law. There has been quite a few times when I have done a "buy online/pickup instore" via apple/bestbuy and others that they couldn't "find" the item.

All the store has to do is offer to cancel the order/refund the money. The only time it could be "illegal" is if they tried to keep your money. Or possibly if one could prove intent. Good luck with that.

10. Dizzy810 macrumors member

As I said it is alright for them to make the occasional mistake. If they do it as a business plan this is fraudulent and a clear violation of contract law.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's hardly nonsense. The online system can be set to look for potential reseller antics and shut them down way better than store staff can. And that is a good thing.

And as long as they go out and warn the folks trying to camp out about the personal pickup so they can pull out their iPhones etc or call home and have someone place an order for them then they have the same chance as anyone else

The whole 'allocate a small bit' is probably a lot less than folks might think. If it's even true. Someone may be confusing the 5-10 units they hold for DOAs until the service parts arrive. Or confusing things with a standard shipment which would come typically around noon and take a couple of hours to sell.

Or, the BF suspects, someone is confused about the standard withheld for the system in general. When a store gets under a set number of units (which is 10 as he recalls) it shuts off personal pickup orders. This is to make sure they don't double ring the same unit with one online and one in store standard sale that is in progress. Managers may have been told that once they are under that marker they'd an sell to walkins so long as all in store orders are properly processed. When they get their next shipment the system will reactivate so long as they get enough to go back over the limit.

12. Macalway macrumors 68000

Yes I agree. Make them line up like sheep. Maybe if we're lucky a fight will break out. Good for publicity, and might even sell a few to first responders... he he.

13. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If you receive a confirmation email your item is ready for pickup it is pulled, tagged and goes to no one else. If they realize they don't have one for you at the time of processing the order they report this and your order is cancelled and you are alerted.

The only time you will get to a store and be told 'never mind' or anything like that is if you place the order and turn up before the confirmation. Such as from the stores own computers. And it won't be 'never mind' but rather 'you have to wait for the confirmation'.

14. Dizzy810 macrumors member

I competely agree. What I said was in response to Aluminum213's comment that Apple wasn't going to screw over the people in line implying that pick up orders weren't necessarily going to be valid. I agree that that there might be mistakes where the computer sells you one, but the inventory doesn't actually exist. What I am saying is that Apple isn't going to say that their in store pickups will be available same day while planning on selling those same units to others.

15. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

If I remember correctly, Best Buy gives you a $10 redemption code when your product isn't in stock and you did in-store pick up. It happened to me with two games for my niece and nephew around Christmas time last year.

16. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

If you do an in store pickup, it doesn't guarantee you the item THAT DAY, as you have to get an email first saying it's ready for pickup

All I'm saying is that if a store gets 100 iPads, people at midnight aren't going to get dibs on that 100, maybe on 10-20, rest for those who wait in line. After the store opens up and those in line got it, everything is up for grabs

17. Macalway macrumors 68000

Yes, yes, we all agree. :)

18. Dizzy810 macrumors member

And that fine. I'm just saying that they can't sell them online with the annotation of "same day pickup" with no intent on fulfilling these orders until a later date. I have no problem with them only setting aside so many for pick up. In fact, this is what I would expect them to do.

19. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

So we all agree

20. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

With hot items they don't allow you to do in store pickup if it isn't in store. So the only way you wouldn't get it that day is if you place it so late that the store is closing by the time they get the order. But they would still get the alert,pull it etc.

Or you are wrong and online gets dibs on the larger amount, up to all of them. Remember folks lining up, even camping all night, have the same access to ordering online. At most they might have 5 of each so they can have stock for those pretty videos they love to post but that could be all

22. robertpetry macrumors 6502

I bought online last night at 3:15 am EDT for I store pick up. I got an email at 7:35 am saying it was ready to pick up. I got it at 8:30.