No in-store pickup for online ordered MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stout Jackson, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Stout Jackson macrumors newbie

I was told today by Apple sales personnel that I couldn't order a Retina MacBook Pro and have it shipped to an Apple store for pick-up there. The reason given didn't make sense. They told me that the big demand for the retinas precluded it. Has anyone ordered their MBPR this way?

2. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

They were telling you the truth. Apple has officially ceased MBPr shipments for in store pickup until further notice. They implemented this shortly after the 11th.

3. Doggonit macrumors regular

And for what demented reason, might I ask? Are they worried that lunatics will try to steal from someone as they come to collect? I would think that that is mostly no longer the case, most stores seem to have at least the base model available most weeks.

Why does it matter to them if the laptop gets shipped to someone's home or to a store? In fact, shouldn't they welcome shipping it to a store so any immediately apparent issues can be dealt with in a more controlled environment? It eliminates the "he said she said" aspect of returns when it could be debated whether it was indeed the FedEx guy who dropped the box once too many times or if it was actually a clumsy owner getting all kinds of hot and bothered by their new rMBP only to have it fly out of their sweaty palms in the midst of a baby oil massage party.

They sell this shipping to store thing so well on the website, and then I find out it can't be done? Great. I was about to migrate from the Windows world to a Mac.

Now I don't think I will because of this completely nonsensical decision to deny this great convenience for people like me who travel a lot and can't and don't want to have to worry about when FedEx comes to their residence with a $3300 package.

Bite me, Apple. I am getting a Lenovo next time I have a free week instead. At least they know how to ship something within a week of ordering.

4. Spicedham macrumors regular

I have it shipped to your front door. Why take an extra trip to the store? If you are scared someone might steal it from your front door have it held at the fedex warehouse and pick it up from there.

5. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

So, what you're saying is that its apple's fault that people like the product and ordered a lot of them.

As for ship to store, it happens, there's gotta be some reason to it. Just have it shipped to your house, or travel down to that local apple store and get it.

If not, then be happy with your lenovo, that no body wants, and they have tons of and be on your way.

6. Doggonit, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012

Doggonit macrumors regular

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23584912
    6.1% 2Q12/2Q11 growth says that a lot of people want it. And it's certainly more than Apple's -1.1% 2Q12/2Q11 growth figure.

----------

What is an extra trip for you might be a perfectly well desired trip for me. Who are you to tell me what a superfluous trip is and isn't for me? Why can't I go down to my local store to pick it up at my leisure and get some assistance doing so? Isn't that once of the pros the Apple itself states on the website when covering the ship-to-store option?

7. dkimxd macrumors member

I got my rMBP through in store pickup, but I think it was just a bug in their system or something that opened up that option for a few hours. I got extremely lucky in getting mine.

8. Doggonit macrumors regular

I assume this was on the 11th of June then, right? Thanks for the helpful, amicable answer, by the by. :)

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why would you when shipping is free to your door.

In-store pick up usually means buying one out of the stores inventory. That would mean you'd be jumping ahead in line. Hence the No from Apple.

10. coolmacoz macrumors newbie

It might sound strange to you, but Apple Stores are managed by different company and different management team to the online Apple Store. They are behaved like a complete two different companies and both management teams have to prove their worth to get their bonuses.

11. Doggonit macrumors regular

Well, this is completely moronic. I am going to try my luck and see if I can convince these muppets to make me one with everything, i.e. CTO as opposed to enlightenment, and ship it to an Apple Retail store with instructions for it to be held for pick-up. If they cannot do this single little favor, then they can't do anything.

12. Stout Jackson thread starter macrumors newbie

In-store pick-up is practiced by many companies including Apple. The Retina MBP is the only model they won't won't do it with right now. As for why someone might want in-store pick-up, with the long wait for shipment, some might fear their computer might be sent while they are away on vacation and be sent back before they return.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

not true at all. Anything BTO will be the same as ordering it to your house. It arrives at the Apple store with your name on it....not just a normal package that they call you based on your position in the waiting que. The demand is so high and quantities are so limited that it makes sense they would only do ship to house.

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

He just wants people to see him buying a new rMBP because he thinks it makes him look cool. Get over yourself!

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, I'm sure Lenovo just had a major update of one of their flagship products come out as well and is just shipping them out like mad. Beyond that, is picking it up from a FedEx location really that more difficult or different that picking it up at an Apple store?

16. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

It's probably because ordering online for in-store pickup uses store stock, not online only distribution stock. So they simply do not have enough MBPRs to do this while also putting them on general sale, contrast to a MBA pick up in store, where they may get 100 MBAs (theoretical number) with only 5 people opting to pick it up in store. Where a MBPR in-store pick up would be around 10 MBPRs per delivery, and all these 10 would be taken by people who reserved online and then there is none for general sale.

If this is the case, then it makes complete sense why Apple stopped MBPR in-store pickup for the time being.

Unbelievable that someone is moaning because of wait times and the option not being available. If you really want one, then pick it up from your local Fedex depot when it ships to you, or simply wait it out until the supply meets the demand and the option becomes available again. Apple can't help the fact their supply isn't meeting demand, and they're not doing it to be deliberately obtrusive.

17. Stout Jackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Who's moaning? This thread was meant to be informative. You might be right about Apple's fear of a lack of in-store availability if it was just their two basic configurations. With configured RMBP's it really shouldn't matter where they ship them.

18. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

It wasn't directed at you, OP. I meant the other one who is mock raging over the issue.

And fair point about that. In that case I agree it doesn't make much sense and the only [very weak] reason is due to the long shipping times and the Apple retail stores not wanting to take responsibility for that. However, I always thought that some Apple stores actually stocked BTO models, albeit in very small quantities.

19. BeeJee macrumors 6502

It's probably because if people ordered them to the store, the employees would get really backed up helping the new owner setting it up. Just imagine all those new machines needing to be set up by people when they already always seem backed up by the current lineup available. I'm glad I don't work for them lol

20. stuaz macrumors 6502

Whats the difference to doing a pickup from a FedEx or UPS location (Of which is probably closer than an Apple store)? (Yes I know they send it back, but most will hold for 5 days (at least UPS in the UK do)).

I understand that people might want to pick it up from an Apple Store because they are going on holiday - of which with the wait times there are at the moment is unlikely to get before anyway!:confused:

Personally I think the whole thread is somewhat meaningless and is just raging at Apple for the sake of it. Once the demand backs off a bit, you will be able to pick up as many as you like in store! :rolleyes:

21. VrRotate macrumors newbie

Available

Unless your customizing it just go to the store and buy one. Every store I have been in around the Houston area has plenty of them now. I have bought several over the past 3 weeks for my office and they haven't had any problem with in stock units. All the ones I got were the 2799.00 model. Best Buy seems to have them in stock now as well

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You are absolutely correct.

I have no idea why they are not helping you.

In my case, the Apple store is a bit closer to my office than to home. I also like to go there since I literally pass it on my way home and I can stop, pickup my computer and browse around the store.

On three different occasions I've placed BTO orders online from Apple.com, specifying in-store pickup. The most recent was only two weeks ago, and just like the first two everything went quite smoothly.

The store receives the computer with your name on it. All they have to do is hold it until your arrival. It couldn't be easier.

23. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I don't understand what the big deal is. It also doesn't matter why Apple doesn't offer in-store pickup for the RMBP. They just don't. I fail to understand how it's better than getting it shipped to your home. You can stop by the Apple Store even if you don't need to pick up your laptop.

24. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Best Buy isn't doing in store pickup either, which I don't get at all. If it's coming from the store's stock whether you order online with in store pickup or go to the store and buy it there, what's the difference? The models are going to be sold either way. Might as well make it easier for everyone instead of going to a store only to find out that someone bought the model you called about 30 minutes ago.

25. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

There is a chance the person browsing online who sees that instore pickup is not available might just order online anyway. Whereas the person who walks into a best buy shop with no reservation who wants a MBPR will be a lost sale if they have sold all their stock inventory to people reserving online, the one who walked into Bestbuy will then walk into the competing tech shop (which I presume aren't that far away like they aren't in the UK) and buy the MBPR from that shop instead. It doesn't seem much, but when you add it up nationwide, they can squeeze out a few more sales this way.

Plus it's better for their reputation if they have everything available to customers walking into the shop.