no incentive for case manufacturers to innovate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Jul 17, 2010.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

This whole free case thing seems like it will make case manufacturers stop caring, at least until September 30. Most people aren't going to want or need more than one case, so they'll get their free one and that will be it, effectively reducing the market for iPhone 4 cases by a ton. Putting time into creating a really nice case just won't be worth it for a while for manufacturers

what do you think?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You realize that not every case is going to be free. Only a few select models from only a couple of manufacturers.

Not every case, not every company will be offering free cases.

3. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Apple will only be giving away the cheapest of the cases, so there will still be a market for premium cases. Plus the manufacturers will still be making money on these free cases so they will have no issues there.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, its apple that will be eating the costs, not the case companies.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'd be surprised if even a big percentage of iPhone 4 customers sign-up for the free case anyway.

This is going to be like Apple's other exchange programs and your typical manufacturer rebate/recall/promotional program, the burden falls on the consumer to initiate the claim and see that it gets followed through.

As crazy as it sounds, there's going to be a large number of iPhone 4 customers that won't bother with the case/bumper program (and if I was betting I would bet it's the majority).

If Apple and the carriers were handing out bumpers and third-party cases to iPhone 4 customers at the time of sale, it might be a different story for the case manufacturers that weren't selected by Apple.

However, that's not going to happen.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I disagree.

1. Most people will be aware of it because all the mainstream media that reported the problem will report the solution. So people will be aware of it.

2. Its a website and the bumpers/cases will be shipped. No one has to give up their phones to do this. So its not inconvenient at all.

3. People love free stuff, especially if they feel they have been wronged.

7. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

true
    but I'm talking about moving forward from when the cases are distributed. Most people won't want to buy a new case that comes to market after the free ones are given out, especially a premium case, because they already have one.

The manufacturers who get their cases chosen by Apple to distribute free will make lots of money, true. But the ones that don't will have a significantly reduced market, especially for cases they plan to release after the free case deal begins (example: switcheasy capsule, which Im sure we'll see, but isnt out yet)

Why make a great case when most of your customers have already been given one, and won't want to buy another?

So basically, Im not talking about the cases that already exist, Im talking about new cases that have yet to be made

8. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I think the cases that are going to be free aren't going to be that great. Most people if not all, will order their free case, but most probably won't end up using it.

9. broncopde macrumors 6502

It seems that it will "cannibalize" the mid-range market for cases. Cheap ones will make money from Apple and premium cases will still have their same market. But for the mid-range it could hurt a lot.

Before: Cheap case was $20. Mid-range case was $40. Your dilemma was is the Mid-range $20 better to use.

Now: Cheap case is free. Is the mid-range case still going to be able to sell at $40 when the dilemma now is "is it $40 better to use?" Maybe the mid-range cases will have to price lower now. It will be interesting to see.

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

I kind of see what the poster was getting at. It's just like a mail in rebate. You'd be surprised how many people don't fill out their mail in rebates for their money back.

I think it also will depend on what cases Apple offers. I'd hoping I can get in for a black bumper. I'd rather they just gave a credit or refund even if it was $30, the cost of their bumper.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

So wouldn't this mean that case makers will be forced to innovate and make better cases if they want to differentiate themselves and succeed?

12. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I bought a case for both my iPhone 4's from att for $29 each. . There was not much of a selection so I felt I would get another later. I saw a $15 case in the mall (very thin and light) that I wanted to try so got a couple. My wife still wants a premium leather case. Not sure I do. I will try the bumper. My point is I think people may get more than 1 case especially if one is free. I think most people get a case as Steve said.

13. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

never thought about it that way
    maybe this is a good thing

14. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Touché.

I like the Element Vapor. Looks real sweet... Worth $80... Not so sure...

But good point, if case makers want people to buy their case, it better be badass.