No inertial scrolling on 2010 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zipper77, Jun 10, 2010.

1. zipper77 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 13" MPB from the Apple Store today, however after using it I noticed there's no inertial scrolling. I'm using the old hard drive from my 2008 unibody macbook so would that have something to do with it? I can't find the option in the preference pane either. Am I missing something or is there something going wrong here?

2. cys920622 macrumors member

Have you updated your Mac OS?

3. zipper77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I ran Software Update as soon as I booted up the machine. I'm running 10.6.3

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

You may need to back up your old hd to an external, then reinstall 10.6.3 from the install disc that came with your new MBP...then, migrate from your old HD...from what I have read, these discs are especially programmed for the new MBP's...

5. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Inertia scrolling like on the iPhone? I didn't know it was built into the OS - I have a 2009 unibody 13" MacBook Pro and that is running 10.6.3 and there isn't any inertia scrolling there??

Please share :D

pac

6. xmaxonx macrumors newbie

This probably isn't much help, but don't you just scroll with two fingers on the trackpad. Works for me..Let me know.

I'm assuming you've tried going to the Trackpad settings and checking the two finger scroll?

7. andrew086 macrumors regular

it's a new "feature" for the 2010 MacBook Pro's, even though it's probably 100% software-based. it's pretty useful thought :D

8. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

It does have it. I just upgraded my 2.4ghz BlackBook to the 2.4ghz 13" 320M Pro with the Microcenter sale. I'm happy I waited to upgrade my computer and iPhone 3G. But getting back on topic, I'm sure doing an install with the OEM disc will do it.

9. AppleTree macrumors member

Yes, i had the same problem. I bought the new 2010 13" and took out the HDD from my old macbook pro with 10.6.3 already installed. The new 13" booted fine and everything was working, however the scrolling wasn't

You need to do a fresh install with the Mac OSX disk provided 10.6.3, it will work after that.

10. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Im convinced there is more than inertial scrolling that is different as well. My battery and gaming performance is no better on my '10 than it was on my '09 after swapping my SSD directly over. So I'm also giving the reload a try and will restore my apps from backup and see If there is any difference.

11. trondah macrumors 6502

10.6.3 does not have updated drivers for the new trackpad's inertial scrolling. Just start up from the installation DVD that came with your MBP and reinstall. It will leave all your files and settings. After that it will work, I did the same thing.

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

So then why has no one ever shared the updated software, so those using a 2009 model can have this feature?

I feel the same about displayport audio too.

13. trondah macrumors 6502

Who said nobody tried?

About MDP audio that is new in 2010 MBP.

14. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

There is no physical reason why displayport should not pass audio on the 9400m models. There are many windows laptops with 9400ms that pass audio.

And if there is a discussion about inertia scrolling on past macbook pros please post a link.

15. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I gave been using my grandson's brand new 13 inch MBP today and it does inertial scrolling just fine. Although my old Santa Rosa MBP is also running OS X 10.6.3, it does not support inertial scrolling. That's probably because it doesn't have a glass trackpad.

16. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

i took my ssd from my '09 13" MBP and put it in my new 2010 13" MBP, then inserted the install disk that came with my new MBP, reinstalled the OS and it worked peerfectly.

All my old files where in order, inertial scrolling, battery meter etc all working properly.

Hope that helps.

17. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Yes, I went the ass-backwards way of a clean from disc install and restoring from backup. 1 hr to go on restore.... :rolleyes:

18. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Restore worked great - love Time Machine / Time Capsule combo.

Inertial scrolling now enabled. Will report back on battery findings.

19. excommie macrumors regular

Are there any widows laptops with 9400m? I've been looking for one and cannot find any. I saw some info that 9400m was exclusively for apple.

20. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Amazing...

So after several calibrations and ~45 days of use, I was starting to get a little disappointed in the 10 hr battery claim for the 2010 MBP 13" I picked up. Under no circumstances was I ever able to get anything over 8 hours. Now, this was a slight improvement over the 6.5 hours I was consistently getting on my '09, but still....

So my conclusion is this: since the 2010 has a physically larger battery, albeit not VERY much larger, there is a large amount of battery efficiencies to be gained from whatever changes are in the 10.6.3 load designed specifically for the 2010 MBP.

Same goes with the inertial scrolling.

So, if there would be a way to identify what specific packages are installed on the 2010 vs the 2009, the folks with last years model "should" be able to enable inertial scrolling, PLUS get at least some of the increased battery life claims.

Oh, since I was also digging around, I found a couple of other "problems" - or rather things hogging my CPU that I wasn't completely aware of. SMSDaemon - which I found out was a piece of the Syphone software that I had installed and had not used in some time - was firing up every so often in the background and eating into CPU. At times, it would hit 30% over a couple of seconds. Probably not good for the battery or overall performance. It was also logging information in console.

Secondly, iStat menus - I loved it - now I've uninstalled it. It was consistently using 1-3% of the CPU. While I know this isn't "a lot" - since I'm on my battery crusade - I decided to remove it.

As I write this, I'm @ 95% - 9:12 remaining - something I've NEVER seen on this 2010.

:D

21. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

I know the new 320m NVIDIA chip was designed specifically for Apple, but the 9400m is in several Wintel laptops, I believe.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Even more so I don't know why that guy you replied to mentions the 9400m in regards to passing audio, the concern is about the Mini Displayport not passing audio, what does that have to do with the 9400m? I think he lost track of what he was saying. ;)

In regards to the new 13", I'm with the OP about this. I was at 2 different Apple stores and both of them had new 13" 2010 models on the floor that didn't not do the inertial scrolling. The 15" and the 17" both worked perfectly. I asked the Apple employee why all the 13" display models advertise inertial scrolling but didn't work and he couldn't figure it out. The preference for Momentum Scrolling isn't even in the trackpad preferences as it is for the 15", 17" and the iMacs. Did Apple make a mistake somewhere?

23. trondah macrumors 6502

Actually there is a physical difference, Displayport 1.2. The previous version is NOT capable of passing audio and never will be.

Google is your friend, there was plenty when inertial scrolling was introduced. The concensus is that it most likely will be enabled for everyone in 10.6.4. You could try to get your hands on the developer seed :)

24. fluxforge macrumors member

on the topic of inertial scrolling for older 2009 MBPs:

inertial scrolling is not implemented in software on apple devices (like the magic mouse and the 2010 trackpad). it is implemented in hardware. a chip within the device calculates the scroll's inertia. so when you initiate the scroll and move your fingers away from the trackpad the device still sends position changes to the computer.

thus there is no easy software fix for that. there are some 3rd party tools that try to mimic the inertial scrolling in software but it's not the same feeling and there are minor glitches.

25. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Meh. Who said that?

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of changing a couple files and the preference pane. :rolleyes: