No input slots on the Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cutra, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Cutra, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

Cutra macrumors newbie

We were just thinking that it's time for an Ipad yet both my wife and I have tons of media which we have home movies, movies etc. that we would like to see yet there is no usb slot or an sd slot!
    How would someone be able to watch their own media on the Ipad?
    Or is this going to happen on the Ipad 3?
    Maybe i'm missing something yet guys please help...

2. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Everything has to be synced through iTunes. If you can import something into iTunes, then you can sync it to the iPad. Or you can jailbreak, but that a different conversation.

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Many ways to get content on iPads. Depends on what type you are talking about and what you want to play it in. Too many to list here. Do a search.

4. Cutra thread starter macrumors newbie

Even syncing doesn't work

I have tried on my mbp inporting my movies which for the most part are avi files and it doesn't do anything.
    For the most part on my mpb and my mp i run vuze or PS3 media server to my tv to watch my avi files yet it would be good to be able to import into itunes.
    I just don't get it....

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

I believe iTunes only accepts MPEG containers. Try converting your AVIs using this program: http://handbrake.fr/

Then try importing them into iTunes again.

6. mr.suff macrumors regular

mr.suff

For AVI files get OPlayer HD and side-load through iTunes. It's played anything and everything that I have thrown at it.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Not really, using the camera connection kit you can import photos and videos, you can download files off the internet and open them in an app like GoodReader. You can get other files on via Dropbox.

Then of course you can buy music and videos from the iTunes store.

To get files into the "default" apps (iPod, Videos) you need to go through iTunes.

8. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Yeah, posted too quick without thinking. Kids were screaming. I use dropbox and the camera connector all the time. And my previous comment about iTunes should've said that if you can get a file to play in iTunes it can then be synced to the iPad. You might have to change the file to get it to work in iTunes.

9. goMac macrumors 603

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Includes both a USB and a SD.

However, not all devices are going to work (for example, don't go trying a printer.)

10. Cutra thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I have converted some of my video's using handbrake and it works fine in Itunes thanks alot buddy!!! Yet what a pain in the butt!!! I mean I already have tons of media that is AVI so why can't Itunes which is such a robust player not able to play AVI files? Arg!!!

I guess it would be just too easy to have a USB or an sd slot in the Ipad and for the Ipad to just see it as an external drive and then just play whatever media you have on it via Itunes or VLC player...

I guess that's asking too much....

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

With home sharing on the latest iTunes, you can just stream over wifi to your iPad so there is no reason to load it on there.

12. Cutra thread starter macrumors newbie

True but it's when we are out on the road and wanting to watch something or the kids wanting to see a video. I think that would be the clincher.

I guess I could load up whatever movies etc that we want to watch a head of times yet still a pain compared to having our mac book pro and just having movies etc and playing them via VLC player....

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you bought one of the 3G iPads there are apps that let you do the same thing. Or, when it's jailbreakable you can read a thumb drive via the camera connection kit. Doesn't vlc player accept those files? There are ways to accomplish it.

14. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Please log in to app store and search for an app called "BUZZ Player". This is the player that plays virtually all media files and is only 1.99 bucks. After you got this app in your itunes on computer, you could move any media files into this app on itunes app session

15. baummer macrumors 6502a

Glad it worked for you. If you ask many videophiles, they'll tell you iTunes is a pretty useless media player. The problem is that iTunes only accepts current formats that match those available for purchase or rent through the iTunes store. Bottom line, it's not easy because they want you to buy from the iTunes store, not load your own videos. Since they don't allow AVI containers, that is why you have to convert the video file to an MPEG container.