no install disks. help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parkm13, Nov 28, 2010.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

i just bought a macbook pro and i want to do a clean install but it didn't come with the install disks. is there a way to do it without buying new disks?

2. simsaladimbamba

You bought it used? You could get the Snow Leopard DVD for 29 $ and use that to do a clean installation. Otherwise you need to contact Apple to get the Restore DVDs, which include iLife. It should cost around the same as the Snow Leopard DVD.

3. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

ok so there is no way to get around it? would i be better off buying the box set that has iwork ilife and snow leopard?

4. simsaladimbamba

You could go the illegal way, but I think discussing it here is not allowed.

What MBP do you have and what Mac OS X version does it have?

5. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

macbook pro 7,1 with the 10.6. i think that right, its the newest one about a month old

6. simsaladimbamba

Then buying the Box Set would be a waste of money, as Apple will send you the Restore DVDs for 30 $ or so and if you want to upgrade to iLife '11, you only need to spend 50 $ (in the case, iLife '11 was not included with that MBP), making the purchase of both items at least 50 $ less expensive than the Mac Box Set.

7. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

it didnt come with ilife 11. so if i buy the restore disk ilife and iwork not in the set it will cost less?

8. simsaladimbamba

Ah, I forgot about iWork being included in the Mac Box Set. Strange though, that a one month old MBP does not come with the Restore DVDs. Did it at least come with the box?

Anyway, if you want iWork, iLife '11 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard, the Mac Box Set might be your best bet, but it may still use the retail version of Mac OS X 10.6.3, which is older than the version your MBP came with (10.6.4) and normally one can't install an older version of Mac OS X as the one that came with the Mac. What about creating a new Admin user and deleting the old account?

9. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah it came with the box. the person i bought it from lost the disks. if i do make a new account then delete his will that get rid of everything he had on the mac or not?

10. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I would go the less-than-legal route. But if it's only $30 from Apple, that's also a good option.

11. simsaladimbamba

It will get rid of everything the user had stored in its account, as all your personal files and settings/preferences are stored inside the user folder.
    If the user stored information outside of the user folder, you might need to hunt it down, but that is rarely the case, unless the user didn't know how to use a Mac (likely).

It is safe to delete the other user folder, if you made sure, your user account is an admin account.

12. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

i really would prefer to stay legal

13. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

ok i will do that. i have another install disk somewhere from when i updated my imac. can i still use it if it had been used once before?

14. ZenErik macrumors 6502

You can use it if it comes with 10.6.3 or higher.

15. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

16. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

17. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

18. simsaladimbamba

Does the serial number on the box match with the serial umber shown in System Profiler? If not, it might be a case of stolen property.

19. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

not at all... if you wernt a nice person you could probably do bad things with what he left.. You could always try to call apple. I got them to send the disks for free. Just say your new mac didn't come with them ;) Technically true.

20. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

haha good idea i will try that.

how do i find the serial number in System Profiler?

21. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Click apple then about this mac. Then click on system profiler.
    Click the hardware tab. It is one of the lines toward the bottom.

22. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also click  > About This Mac and click on the line under Mac OS X until it shows the serial number. Clicking that line rotates between Build number, OS X version and Serial Number.

24. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

ok well that worked too. so im happy its not stolen. does anyone here want to mail me their install disk lol?

25. GGJstudios, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Grey install disks are specific to the model they shipped with. They will not work on other models.