No installation CD with new MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by InnocentAbroad, Mar 28, 2009.

1. InnocentAbroad macrumors newbie

To transfer stuff from my old MacBook (still in full working order) the new MacBook tells me to install "Mac OS X Install Disc that came with this computer". I can find no such disc in the box, simply TWO iLife Discs (which appear to be identical). Is this a packing error? Is there anything I can do? Problem is that I am now in France, as opposed to the UK where I bought the new computer, so cannot just go back to the shop.

Any help gratefully received.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If they are gray, then those are the right discs, OS X is on Disc 1.

3. InnocentAbroad thread starter macrumors newbie

No they are "white" with ILIFE in coloured letters. THere is nothing differentiating them, ie nothing that says 1 or 2.

Under the ILIfe it says: CPU Drop-in DVD .. THis software is part of a hardware bundle -- not to be sold separately Version 9.00.

The second one is identical...

4. iChrisG macrumors member

I would suggest contacting Apple, or making a Genius Bar appointment.

Good luck!

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, that drop in DVD is going to be the one you want.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

TS,

I sounds like those are both just the drop in iLife discs, and he may not have gotten the restore discs.

7. InnocentAbroad thread starter macrumors newbie

If I went to an Apple Reseller locally (ie in France) would they have an install disc I could "borrow"? Otherwise I am completely stuck...

I cannot believe an error so basic could happen...

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. InnocentAbroad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone who responded. I contacted Apple who are posting me replacement discs. In fact I can transfer files/software using the migration system and without needing the install disc, which is worth knowing in case anyone else is faced with this problem.

10. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Maybe you're not reading them well, it is most probable that they are NOT identical one should say DVD and the other CD.

Now, I don't think this could help you as they are not the discs you need, but maybe you also overlooked the location of the right discs, Have you checked all the original packaging of the Macbook?

11. InnocentAbroad thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just checked and they are identical (at least on the label), both are DVDs -- no difference in the labeling whatsoever. I had only just opened the box, having bought it at the airport last week...and no, have checked everywhere. No sign.

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.