No instore keyboard swap

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrjosh, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mrjosh macrumors regular

Hi all,

I thought (my first mistake) an Apple Store could swap out a full size keyboard if I bought an imac. No such luck - at least in SF and Stonestown. If anyone was planning on this, you may want to call the store in question.

Unfortunately, my personal shopping assistant said it would be no problem at the beginning of my appointment; when he was ringing me up he said he couldn't do it. I had to cancel the transaction and leave all my goodies in the store. That was sad.

Accepting delivery can be a hassle for me which is why I didn't want to go through apple.com, but I had no choice which was rather annoying (for a few hours after the appointment I actually did not want to purchase anything from apple, but then I turned on my pc, listened to it wheeze and groan - I think I actually heard it say "kill me" - and waited 10 minutes for it to boot up).

All because I use a numbered keyboard...

oh, I did order the 20" iMac, pixma MP980 printer and an airport express. After much hemming and hawwing about getting the 2.93 with GT 120, I realized I would be fine with the 20", and would even have a few inches of desk space left. Not to mention the $ saved...

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I really, really do not understand Apple's keyboard decision. I thought it was annoying but acceptable when the updated wireless keyboard did not have a number pad. But now the iMac ships with a wired, padless keyboard? I fear soon they won't even offer the number pad as an option.

And, it seems to me, manufacturing both types of keyboards must be more expensive. Why not just stick with the wired, full keyboard and the wireless, compact keyboard?

3. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I was definitely dissapointed when I heard Apple was making the standard keyboard one without a keypad. I do a lot of work with a numeric keypad, which is the reason why my laptop had to have one when I got it. On some days, I would say I use the numeric keypad more than the keyboard itself, so I definitely have to have the numeric keypad as well.

I was upset at first, but I was still quite pleased with the other changes made, so overall I'm okay with it now. I've just decided to replace the wired mouse and keyboard that comes with the Mac and get wireless from Logitech instead. I like the look of the Apple keyboard and had planned to get one from them, but since they don't offer a wireless option with the numeric keypad I've decided to stick with Logitech. I've had good luck with the mouses I have from them, so I will give them a try.

4. mrjosh thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be doing that tonight. I was going to last night but figured I would be too annoyed and pissy for anyone to take me seriously.

Also, I'm sure the salesperson will say something seeing as he lugged down a printer and the computer only to have me say "no thanks" to the stubby keyboard. I almost felt bad for him but realized I asked first thing if he could swap out a keyboard and he said "no problem".

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If Apple is going to take this approach, why can't they stock stores with some of the numpad kboards? If you ask for a swap, do it as you buy. It's lame, but obviously they've decided most consumers don't need the keypad so why bother?

6. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

this blows:mad:

cuz this is what i was gonna do
    go to the apple store
    and see if they can switch my keyboard to a number pad
    one when i get my iMac

now im gonna have to wait 2 weeks to get it delivered
    man this sucks so bad
    juss wanted to go to apple store and get it right then and there
    this is annoying:mad:

7. mrjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Sent off feedback

Well, I sent off my feedback. The main feedback page is for products only; I saw a general apple.com webpage feedback so sent to both. I'm curious to see if I get a reply. I've had a few questions for the itunes folks, and they have always responded in a timely and helpful fashion.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...get a USB number pad, they can be had for $5 - $10 USD and then you only have to use it as needed...

I actually just picked up a previous gen 20" iMac as it was NIB for $979 from our on-base NEX as :apple: doesn't ship to military addresses and I can't talk to most of the employee's at the "local" apple store in Japan where I'm stationed...(it also came with the full size keyboard)...