No internal HDD's reading at all.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alksion, Jun 27, 2012.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Hey guys, I am installing a new drive in my buddies Aluminum MacBook Unibody and I am encountering some serious problems. The HDD simply won't read, I have tried other HDD's and disk utility in the OSX installation won't read it or pick it up. Three different sizes and two different RPM speeds and still the same thing.

Could the SATA ribbon going from the HDD to the Logic Board be the issue or am I missing something here?

2. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Maybe someone can just answer what are the chances that it's just the SATA ribbon ($30 on ebay) versus a broken connection point on the logic board?

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Try replacing the logic board first. If that does't work then try a new SATA ribbon.

4. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Not this at all. Thats absolutely bone-headed advice. If you're between two components, try the cheapest one first.

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Exactly my thoughts and also the direction I will most definitely be heading in.
    Thanks, maybe I just needed the reassurance to go ahead with this plan.

If it's a $30 ribbon great! But if it's a bad connection point on the logic board, well I guess my friend can kiss his MacBook goodbye and part it out.