Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkylineDrive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
I have just installed El Capitan in my iMac. I no longer have internet access, either through Safari, Firefox, Apple Mail, Norton Internet Security (NIS), Contacts, etc. Furthermore, Parallels and Windows 10 are installed in my iMac. I no longer have internet connectivity on the Windows side of my iMac. I would appreciate it if someone could help me to solve this problem. Please note that participants in another thread in this web site complained that NIS was not compatible with various betas of El Capitan. When NIS was running they had no internet access, and when they disabled it internet access was restored. Is that the problem, here? I thank you for any advice you can give me.

Update: I have just phoned Norton product support. The tech told me that Norton Internet Security is not compatible with El Capitan. He told me that "they are working on it" and recommended that I call back in one month. MacRumors: PLEASE WARN YOUR READERS WHO USE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY NOT TO INSTALL EL CAPITAN, until Symantec comes out with a fix!

Last edited:

SkylineDrive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
Why do you have Norton?
Apparently, because I didn't know any better. As I have just added to my post, Symantec tech support told me that NIS is not compatible with El Capitan. Think about this: 1) El Capitan has been under development for months (?) a year (?) and Symantec didn't devote the resources to make NIS compatible with it, and they don't expect to have a compatible version available FOR ONE %$)#ING MONTH!!! 2) Symantec didn't bother to send its registered customers a warning not to install El Capitan, until further notice. The product that I use is called Norton Small Business. If I didn't have back-up computers, Symantec would have put my small business out of business. If you would like to recommend an internet security program to replace Norton, I would like to know about it. Thanks.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
If I didn't have back-up computers, Symantec would have put my small business out of business.
Backing up your computer is protecting you ten times more than any Norton product ever will. If you can remove Norton from your computer without doing any damage, then consider yourself lucky. Norton makes some of the worst products on the market. If you buy into the hype that viruses on your Mac are an issue then at least use something that isn't going to waste your resources, like Eset (www.eset.com/us). The problem you have now is how do you remove Norton without doing any damage to your Mac. Many people have had to format and start fresh because of all the issues it causes. Don't install any other anti-virus software on your Mac until you have safely removed Norton. You can only have one anti-virus on your Mac at a time. Hope that helps.

SkylineDrive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
Backing up your computer is protecting you ten times more than any Norton product ever will. If you can remove Norton from your computer without doing any damage, then consider yourself lucky. Norton makes some of the worst products on the market. If you buy into the hype that viruses on your Mac are an issue then at least use something that isn't going to waste your resources, like Eset (www.eset.com/us). The problem you have now is how do you remove Norton without doing any damage to your Mac. Many people have had to format and start fresh because of all the issues it causes. Don't install any other anti-virus software on your Mac until you have safely removed Norton. You can only have one anti-virus on your Mac at a time. Hope that helps.

stevjo747

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
Had same prob, reset vram, cmd+alt+P+R, restart hold these keys when startup sound plays and hold until sound occurs again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.