No internet access on PPC based USB boot drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matthemercyless, Oct 25, 2010.

1. matthemercyless macrumors member

I have my dead PowerBook's HDD in an external USB enclosure, and have set it to the boot disk on my Intel based iMac.

It loads up fine, but I cant access the System Preferences (architecture not supported it says). The Airport sees (and appears to be connected to) my wifi network, but neither Safari nor Firefox can connect to the internet.

I need to update my iPhone and I need to authorize my computer otherwise it will wipe loads of apps from my iPhone.

Any suggestions to get around this and gain internet access?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Apparently it doesn't load up fine. What OS version are you running on the USB drive?

3. matthemercyless thread starter macrumors member

haha, I mean it boots into my external HDD fine, but I see your point. The iMac has 10.6 and my PowerBook had 10.5 installed.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

It's likely that you need to update the OS on your USB drive. It's hard to say without specifics of which 10.5.x you're trying to use on which iMac.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'd boot into 10.6 on the new machine, connect the old drive via the external enclosure, and transfer your Files and Folders using the Migration assistant (It will see the external drive as another Mac).

That should pick up your iTunes Music folder so you can sync to the new computer.