No internet but connection OK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sundance2007, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Sundance2007 macrumors regular

When I try to surf or check my email there is no connection but I am connected to my wireless network no problem with good signal and everything. My macbook connects just fine so it's not the network.

Where should I look for the problem?

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Connecting to your wireless router doesn't mean you're connected to the Internet. Obviously your router is not connected to the Internet. Try connecting with an ethernet cable directly. If you still have no Internet, call your service to see if there are problems on the line. If you have Internet, restart the router or read its manual.

3. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

As I said, but wasn't clear, my Macbook connects just fine, not the same computer that has the problem I am describing, it's the desktop I can't connect with. The router is fine as all the other computers on the network connect OK. Also I tried connecting the computer that will not connect (the desktop) wired and it does not connect that way either.

4. stev3n macrumors 6502

When I run into problems with my internet connection, I disconnect my cable modem and router for about 5 minutes. Then I plug my cable modem back in and wait for all the lights to turn on. Then I plug my APE back in and everything usually works fine. If you're still having problems I would call your service provider and see if they can fix it for you.

5. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

Did all that. Have had that work for me as well in the past but not this time.

Calling, it's comcast and I would get someone in India that is following a trouble shooting flow chart that knows nothing out side what he/she sees on the flow chart. My chances are much better getting help here.

Also when you say Mac ...they run the other direction.

6. stev3n macrumors 6502

My friend had Comcast and he would lose service daily. Good luck with the phone call.

7. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

Also on the subject of Comcast, since it's working for the other computers and on there side all is OK I don't think they will offer any help since it's obviously something with the computer :apple: and not their internet connection.:(

Anyone else have any ideas?

8. lighthouse_man, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Turn off Airport on your mac and turn it back on. Also check the settings on your firewall software if you have one installed. Try connecting from a separate account to verify the issue.

Your issue could also be conflicting IP addresses. Read on how to fix this by searching on your router's help page.

Check this out too: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1714