Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fenrisulven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Today when i woke up my phone didnt have any internet connection. It had the WIFI symbol, but no internet.

I checked my computer for WIFI and internet and everything was fine. Is this a bug in IOS5?

Never lost internet like that before in IOS4...

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I had the same issue this morning, and so did my next door neighbor, issue was resolved:

Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings

kwernerus

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
I have the same issue with an iPhone 3GS on IOS 5.0.1. Reseting the network settings on the iPhone does not help.

Other behavior:

• This only occurs when the iPhone is docked to the computer. If it is just connected to a power source, this problem doesn't occur.
  • As with the above, I see a wifi connected. Turning off/on wifi or reconnecting doesn't help.
  • Turning off wifi - which shows a 3G connection - also does not help. No internet connection.
  • Even turning Data off/on does not help. It seems to all have valid IP addresses. Almost as if there s no DNS name resolution.
  • Phone is still able to make calls in this state.
  • The internet access doesn't seem to run off right away.
  • The only way to correct the problem is to reboot the phone. Not a very practical solution.
  • This never occurred on any previous IOS upgrade and I've been through several.

I have heard this occur on a colleague's iPhone 4 (not 4S) as well.

The only thing in common seems to be that both devices were jailbroken using redsn0w.

I hope this is enough information for anyone to provide some guidance to correct the problem.

kwernerus

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Update:

I found that Cydia had some invalid Sources identified with it. (Hint: Manage Sources - look for question marks instead of icons for the sources). Removed the bad sources, then re-installed Cydia, SbSettings, and Mobile Substrate.

After this you reboot phone. Problem has gone away and I've done several test with it.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who came across this problem.

dmegatool

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Update:

I found that Cydia had some invalid Sources identified with it. (Hint: Manage Sources - look for question marks instead of icons for the sources). Removed the bad sources, then re-installed Cydia, SbSettings, and Mobile Substrate.

After this you reboot phone. Problem has gone away and I've done several test with it.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who came across this problem.

Got the same problem when disconnecting from a computer. Reinstalled Sbsettings and Mobile Substrate without success... How do "re-install" Cydia ?

kwernerus

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Reinstalling cydia, can actually be done from WITHIN Cydia since it is just another install package.
  1. Launch Cydia & Wait for the Sources to be loaded
  2. Choose "Manage" from the modem
  3. From Manage, Choose Packages - This will list everything from your repositories that has been installed on your iDevice
  4. The list is alphabetical. Scroll to the letter "C", you see "Cydia Installer". Tap that package name
  5. This brings up the details for that package, if you select "Modify" from the top right, you will get an option to reinstall which is what you select.
  6. After installation, reboot your phone for good measure, and see how things work for you

Cheers,

dmegatool

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Didn't work. Meh... I guess I'll wait the next update and retry from scratch. Don't feel like it right now. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.