No internet connection after waking from sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by knuckleball, Jul 9, 2011.

1. knuckleball macrumors newbie

knuckleball

I'm running the GM on my Early 2011 MBP and, beginning today, am having an issue when waking from sleep. I can't seem to access the internet. My Airport shows full bars and other computers connect to the network fine, but websites do not load, Adium doesn't connect, mail doesn't download... nothing. The only way to get back on the internet is to restart.

Any thoughts?

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I never had this problem on my Macbook Pro with Lion GM installed, but I would recommend you to delete your Airport list:
    Turn off your Wi-Fi -> System Preferences -> Network -> Click on Wi-Fi on the left column -> Advanced -> Click on your network in the box -> Click on the minus sign '-' to delete the info -> Click Ok -> Click Apply.
    After you've done this, turn on your Wi-Fi again, choose your network (don't forget your password if you have one,) and give it a try again. I do this when there seems to be a problem with my network on my Macbook Pro.

3. infamous84 macrumors member

i had this same problem when i upgraded from leopard to lion, i couldnt figure out why this was happening. So i did a fresh clean install of lion without leopard and that seemed to fix the problem.

4. mrkeithy, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

mrkeithy macrumors newbie

mrkeithy

Got the same issue, it happens on both wifi and lan connections, if you turn off the airport and back on or run the network diag as suggested by safari it resolves the issue until the mac sleeps again. I Spent an hour on the phone to apple support who is unable to fix it, getting me to do a hardware test now and to report back if i find the fix online anywhere, which is so reassuring.

5. Scottb8888 macrumors newbie

Just upgraded our mini and have the same problem!

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

Same problem here... guess I'll be doing a fresh install.

7. calvin2006 macrumors regular

Just upgraded a 2007 iMac and a 2011 MBP and neither have this problem, so it's not universal. Hope you guys find a fix, though! At least you know there is hope.

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

Just did a fresh install and it didn't fix it...

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

Ok, I've narrowed it down to my external USB 2.0 WD drive I use for my Time Machine Backup. When unplugged, the internet connection works perfectly after sleep. I don't know if its the drive type or the fact that its an external time machine drive, but I hope Apple fixes this.

10. Ax1 macrumors newbie

same problem under iMac 2011 upgraded from 10.6.8 to lion, is related to dns resolver (internet works, but dns resolver fails after coming back from sleep).

11. zedtech78 macrumors newbie

I've found a workaround for this that seems to be working on my 2011 MBP.

1. Systems Preferences -> Network
    2. Under "Wi-Fi", click on the "Advanced" button.
    3. Under the "DNS" tab, add the Google Public DNS - 8.8.8.8
    4. Click OK, then click Apply.
    5. Turn WiFi OFF, then turn it back ON again.

Hopefully there's a fix for this soon but so far, this worked like a charm on my MBP. Way better than manually having to turn off wifi and back on again every time I awoke the laptop from sleep.

Good luck!

12. GeoffIX macrumors newbie

Having migrated from a 10.6.8 MBP to a new iMac then upgraded, my preferred networks list was full of networks the MacBook had joined but the iMac never will. I found that deleting all but the local WiFi removed what seems to be the root cause of the WiFi reconnection after sleep problems. I.e. confusion about which network to join. For some reason, even though the correct network was at the top of the list of preferred networks, that preference is not sufficient to convince Lion it's OK to reconnect to the first network in the list after an upgrade.

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Same here. Worse I can lose my dns again a few minutes after wake from sleep. As in, everything is working and suddenly it goes out again. What pisses me off is I told it not to ask to join other networks but it still goes out and looks for them. That seems to be when it screws up.

14. slicecom macrumors 68020

15. mmoin macrumors regular

Clearing my AirPort network list of several hotel/coffeeshop networks appears to have fixed this problem for me.

16. Shivetya macrumors 65816

It only does it for a few minutes for me, then my machine decides to go out and hunt for more networks and that is when it goes to hell

17. robkat macrumors member

robkat

No internet connection after waking from sleep?

Restarting Safari works for me.

18. Toke macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, but only on occasion. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

19. sofasurfer macrumors member

Just had this problem on my iMac. When I woke the machine from sleep Chrome and safari would not load due to a DNS issue even though uTorrent is working away fine. Restarting the iMac resolves the issue but anyone know why this is happening now?

20. deftdrummer macrumors regular

No

I have this problem on my mid 2007 iMac. It only started happening at some point after Lion. This is a really annoying problem to have, as I don't have any other saved networks in the settings because my iMac never leaves the house.