No Internet connection bug

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by loxley192, Sep 23, 2016.

1. loxley192 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys
    New to this forum and looking for some advice.
    My wife has a MacBook around 2 years old. Its so slow, when opening or trying to open a page from the internet a small un official looking box pops up with "no internet connection" (even though it is connected to my network) if I close it, it comes back again, it has a help box, when clicked asks you to go to network setup and set up a new network.
    I can't get rid of it, any pointers please.

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Strange problem. A MacBook isn't a PowerPC Mac (which are at least 10 years old) but I can try to help. How is it connected? Wi-Fi, I assume? Also, could you attach a screenshot of this dialog box you're seeing?

3. loxley192 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response.
    Its a MacBook Pro running OS Sierra.
    Image attached.
    Recently cleared cache and cookies but its running so slow I'm thinking about doing a factory reset.

Attached Files:

4. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

That doesn't look like a real Apple dialog box. I've gotten things like that before and they are almost always fakes. I'm not one hundred percent sure, so I'm really sorry if I'm wrong, but that's probably a fake. What web browser are you using, and can you access the Internet through other applications, such as Mail?

5. loxley192 thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely not an Apple box, guessed it was fake, just can't stop it.
    Everything works just that dam box keeps popping up and everything is so slow and freezes.

6. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I can't help unless you can answer these questions:
    What web browser are you using?
    Can you access the Internet through other apps like Mail?

7. loxley192 thread starter macrumors newbie

Using Chrome, yes can access through other apps.
    Just been through and had a good clean out but that dam box still comes up and still pretty slow.

8. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

That dialog box actually looks like something you might see in Chrome, and it could be a bug/error. I've always used Safari or Firefox, so I don't know anything about Chrome, sorry. You could try a different browser, or back up your things and do a clean install of the OS. That's all I can tell you, sorry. :(

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

HFTaylor12 has the right of. That's not an Apple box. I'd suggest you download something like Malwarebytes and/or a virus scanner. Your wife might have picked up a bit of malware somewhere. If it's only in Chrome that it's showing up, you might try uninstalling Chrome and then reinstalling it.

A look at your activity monitor might help to determine if something is running in the background and eating resources.

10. loxley192 thread starter macrumors newbie

Only just downloaded Chrome this morning, was using Firefox until then, was hoping that would solve the issue.