Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimdandee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
I replaced my hard drive, for a while all was fine , now I cannot connect to the internet, (could previously), get a message that Airport is turned off, tried every direction to turn it on , cannot. I have Verizon that works fine on my other computers(not Macs) . Any help greatly appreciated.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds like your Airport WiFi card inside is broken. Likely completely unrelated to the HDD replacement.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Open Network Preferences and delete the existing Wi-Fi profile and create a new one. Then press the "Turn Wi-Fi On" button. This happened to me today when I was creating an external backup boot drive.

jimdandee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Open Network Preferences and delete the existing Wi-Fi profile and create a new one. Then press the "Turn Wi-Fi On" button. This happened to me today when I was creating an external backup boot drive.
Went to Network, does not list any Wifi , "no service in this location". Went to Internet sharing, got this message "Cannot start Internet sharing
, there are no ports available. Choose a different connection to share or turn on another port using Network preferences." Have no idea how to do either. Thanks

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Went to Network, does not list any Wifi , "no service in this location". Went to Internet sharing, got this message "Cannot start Internet sharing
, there are no ports available. Choose a different connection to share or turn on another port using Network preferences." Have no idea how to do either. Thanks
If in the Network pane of System Preferences there is no "Wi-Fi" in the listing, press on the "+" sign below and create one.

If there is a "Wi-Fi" in the listing, did you delete it and recreate it? Do this by selecting "Wi-Fi", press the "-" sign and then create a new one by pressing on the "+" sign?

Here's some info from Apple...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Internet sharing means sharing a connection you already have.

If you click on the menubar WiFi symbol what is shown?

Do you have an Apple store close by, probably easier to show them if you do...

jimdandee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
No connection

Is there any type of network adapter for Apple computer?Thanks

jimdandee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
no connection

Thanks for the response. Neither worked. Out of desperation I tried a wifi network card I used in a pc, worked, but when I reboot I have to reset the card. Is there a network card deigned to work on Macs?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Thanks for the response. Neither worked. Out of desperation I tried a wifi network card I used in a pc, worked, but when I reboot I have to reset the card. Is there a network card deigned to work on Macs?

I think the internal wifi card is replaceable in most MacBooks Pros.

Maybe open up your Mac and make sure the cable is securely connected, if it's that model Mac. If it's a card that is plugged in, I'm not sure.

You can probably find the part and install guides here...

https://www.ifixit.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.