No Internet on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macoltrane, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Macoltrane macrumors member

Hi everyone

I'm trying to connect to the wifi network on campus using my iPhone. I was able to do so on the Mac, had to input a username and password.

When I try to connect to the wifi signal, it does not ask for a username and only asks for me to provide a password. This does not work since I figure there needs to be a user ID to identify who the person is.

How can I connect to the network and have it allow me to type in my user ID when I try to log onto the network?

For it to work on my Mac, I had to create a new 802.1X connection and type in all these details onto the computer.

Thanks! :D

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The iPhone doesn't currently support 802.1X authentication. You cannot use it on networks which require this.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it does if you're using the current firmware... but the setup is erm... less than simple. Here's a sample guide of how to set it up that BU posted for their university 802.1x network. It should give you enough of an idea of how to do it to substitute your own network's information and get yourself going.

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/wireless/8021x/iphone.html

It's in "American English," by the way. ;) But at least we get it done. :p

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well that's cool if it does: my Google search just said no :eek:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's a pretty new feature -- it most definitely was not there at the iPhone launch. I haven't tried it myself.

EDIT: Apparently it bowed with the initial 2.0 release, so it works on any 2.x firmware but not on any 1.x firmware.

6. iphonecode macrumors member

iPhone doesn't support 802.1 authentication..
    :mad: