No internet on my boot camp drive!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by noahgolm, Aug 19, 2010.

1. noahgolm macrumors member

Hi, this is a major problem for me. I just installed ubuntu on my mac via boot camp, and I can't find how to set up wireless internet! Once, after installing windows, the same problem occurred. I'm not sure whether this version doesn't support airport (ubuntu v10.04.1) or I need the snow leopard drivers (but I can't because it's a .exe file).

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I had no idea Boot Camp was compatible with Linux, at least not officially?

3. noahgolm thread starter macrumors member

Well, not officially, but it should work anyways. Otherwise people wouldn't have linux on macs, would they? That still doesn't answer my question. (sorry to be rude).

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I thought people just ran Linux in Virtual Machines. I'm sorry, I can't help you. After a quick Google scope it wouldn't appear there's much support for Linux under boot camp.

5. noahgolm thread starter macrumors member

On my google searches, most people used boot camp or rEFIt. Triple booting and all that stuff. I'm not sure if that's the problem, though. The icon for internet on the top right only says wired connection, not wireless. The only option I have is to edit the VPN connection, or something along those lines.

6. Alfihar macrumors member

Which Mac do you have?

The first thing I would do would be to hook the computer up to the internet via an ethernet cable and install any updates.

If that doesn't work check in, System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, to see if there are any proprietary drivers available to install.

If that doesn't work you will need to identify which wireless card you have in your Mac, so that you can install the correct drivers for it.

Either run "lspci" (thats a lower case L) from Ubuntus terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal), or in OSX go to Apple > About This Mac > More info > Airport, this should give you some information on the card.

Once you have more information then you can check to see if it's supported, and whether there are any drivers available.