No Ipad 3 this year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MUBiomed, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Steve was big on "the year of the iPad 2." Do you think this was just clever marketing strategy or was he hinting that 2011 would only see the release of one iPad?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Since 2011 = Year of iPad 2, no chance of iPad 3 later this year?

Since Apple kept repeating that 2011 is the year of iPad 2, doesn't that pretty much destroy all the rumors about an iPad 3 later this year?

It just wouldn't make sense.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't think that there will be another iPad released this year.

4. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

That's true. I mean, Apple refreshing a product (besides hardware specs in computers) a few months after launch? Just hasn't really happened. You got a point to. YEAR of the iPad 2.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

6. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Or, you could say "2011, year of the iPad too"

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Yeah. if they said "year of the iPad" its up for debate. But "year of ipad 2" locks it out.

8. stev3n macrumors 6502

I don't think iPad 3 will come out this year.

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It ain't coming out this year. Apple doesn't seem to veer much from its yearly release schedule. Maybe it will be the 7" ipad, or maybe not who knows. But IMO it won't be the ipad3, especially seeing as the ipad3 generation should be the revolutionary one based on their staggered releases of large upgrades.

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

We'll see, I hardly think something like this slogan is going to stop Apple from releasing a third-generation product if they feel the need.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The 1 rumor of ipad announcement in September I believe is utterly misleading. I suspect September will see the unveiling of IOS 5 and its new interface and feature set.

I think Apple are keeping tight lipped on IOS5 until they have released OSX Lion.

12. Davichi macrumors 6502

Use some common sense. Rumors should stay as rumors. Apple will be busy this summer with iPhone 5 and iPad 2 will be most likely going to sell out for many months to come.

September is reserved for ipod touch and ipod.

I seriously doubt apple will be able to meet the demands on iPad 2.

As long as iPad 2 sales are high, they won't consider iPad 3 this year.

13. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

He's not going to say: "The 5 months, 6 days and 14 hours of the iPad 2," is he?

And, no, I don't believe that there will be an iPad 3 this year.

14. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

What would iPad 3 offer that's not in the one they just announced?

I've been on a Mac since 2007, so I admit I'm not a seasoned expert in them. However, when I hear these things I immediately think of Android. They just come out with something, and everyone is screaming, "Ya...but when is X coming out?"

Like the other posters on here said, the next big thing is iOS 5, and then iPhone 5. I'd expect more Multitasking pieces, maybe a small UI enhancement, then some added features. Probably a MobileMe announcement too...

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

16. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Maybe by saying the year of the ipad 2, maybe Apple means the year of 2 ipads. Thus iPad 2 now and iPad 3 in the fall :)

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither do I.

Be careful not to hurt yourself as you try and twist Steve's words to meet your expectations.;)

18. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

I really don't expect a second iPad later this year. I'm actually getting an iPad 2 as soon as it becomes available to order and it doesn't hurt me any if iPad 3 isn't out until 2012.

19. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I want to believe that my intuition is right and that the iPad 3 rumors in 2011 are bogus so that I can buy an iPad on March 11 and not feel screwed over already. I dont mind upgrading in a years time but I would be unhappy with "The Steve" if he dropped a new one in conjunction with iOS 5 this Fall

20. yegon macrumors 68020

Makes no sense whatsoever for an iPad 3 to appear later this year. Thought this prior to the keynote, even more so now.

Besides, what would they put in it? Higher res displays aren't magically going to become significantly cheaper in 6 months. More ram? For the mainstream target audience, hardly worth breaking the cycle.

The current cycle is pretty well timed imo - the iPad is more gift like than, say, an mbp, so they sell a tonne at Xmas when they've got a stockpile of 'em, then release a new one the following spring.

I'm pretty impressed by the update, very surprised they went dual core, it'd be soooo Apple to hold that back. Still question marks over the ram though.

21. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Of COURSE it's only going to be iPad2 this year, coming out with an iPad3 would cannibalize sales of the iPad2 and that's not a good business marketing strategy. And as we all know Apple is the king of Marketing. Whoever that guy was who made up that rumor did it out of pure misguided speculation.

22. yegon macrumors 68020

This x 1m

I'm all for a good rumour, but I was genuinely surprised how much credence and take up this particular winnet of bs garnered :)

23. yustas macrumors regular

I also think that the iPad 3 is not going to happen in 2011. It just does not make sense. That having been said, what do people expect to see in the iPad 3? How come iPad does not have GPS, by the way? Will we see it in the iPad 3?

24. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Apple does yearly updates. There won't be an iPad 3 this year.

25. fanboy05 macrumors regular

fanboy05

no... you will have to wait till next march/ april before they put out the ipad 3...