Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Bummer but that one time it did get an update it received the latest and greatest at the time A15. So within their lineup it's still a pretty nice device.

Does deserve a $100 price cut but somehow they forgot.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I wasn't expecting it based on the rumors. But still disappointed. This is the only iPad I'm interested in. I don't want a laptop replacement. I want a great device between a macbook and a phone. You know. The whole original promise of an iPad.

I'll be really sad if it is discontinued...

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Extremely disappointing. I’ve considered getting a Mini as an e-reader/note taking device and was really hoping for a refresh here. Even if it didn’t have M1/M2 and had an A17 chip instead, that would have been fine. 6GB-8GB of RAM. Maybe I’ll just search for a deal on the existing Mini instead.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It’s ridiculous that they didn’t even change the storage capacities of the Mini in line with the Air, as it’s been positioned as mid tier since the Mini 5 came out. That it supports Pencil 2 is the only thing supporting that currently.

The Mini now costs just £100 less than the Air, despite being outdated - 6 months older than the old Air - and having half the storage. It’s been a raw deal RAM wise ever since Air 5 came out. It’s still £20 MORE than it was at launch if I recall correctly (prices went up after the so called kamikaze budget) though it was £569 at one point vs £499 today (not sure when this reduction happened as there is no reference to it being today.)

I won’t be cancelling my AC+ any time soon…

The Mini makes no sense other than to prop up Air sales. The 2 generation processor gap vs the Pro rules out the 11 for me and the Pro is overkill, but against the Mini the Air sort of works. Perhaps the best ever example of the line upselling itself.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
That little token mention Tim Cook made also seemed aimed at those who were at that point asking "wait, what about the Mini?" It seemed to only be said to remind viewers that they still sell it.

I'm thinking the Mini is slated for discontinuation.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
It's so funny it's like they tacked on mention of the iPad mini in the video when they cut back to Tim after visibly showing the other iPads.

"Oh crap we forgot to update it… um… call Tim he's needed back in the studio!"

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
I won't buy anything other than the Mini and I am willing to pay more for a Mini Pro. I have so many laptops that are 100 times more useful than the bigger iPads in a similar form factor.

Reactions: Saturn1217

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I still expect them to update the Mini

...and further bump the price

The greedflation knows no bounds

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
How did we just have a purely iPad keynote, where iPad Mini hasn't been updated since 2021 (3 years ago), and it didn't get updated?
People are going to be pissed...

When they're wanting $999 and $1299 for the new 11 and 13 inch iPad Pro OLED's, no rush on offering the cheaper model I guess lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.