No iPhone 4 Benchmarks in the Keynote

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eso, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Was anyone else disappointed that there was nothing in the keynote benchmarking the new iPhone?

I remember when the 3GS was announced that JavaScript benchmarks in Safari were compared with the 3G.

The only point in the keynote where they could have been directly compared is when Steve tried to load up the NYT to compare the displays.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The demo of iMovie was all you needed to see. It's fast.

3. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Well speed was the 3GS' selling point, wait till 4GS comes out in 2012, there will be benchmarks.

4. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

"Benchmarks"?

Nerds with feature fetish just don't want to go away.

6. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

You got to be joking. Last year's theme was all about speed and performance boost, that the new 3GS is at least 2x fast as 3G.

It's pretty obvious they are saving the performance upgrade for iPhone 4S next year. It's a classic Apple move.

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

They had far too many other features to demo. The major selling point of the 3GS was the speed, video camera and the compass. And they demoed each of those because they had plenty of time. Think about how much there was to demo on the iPhone 4. All they had time to do was to say "the A4 is in the new iPhone" and move on.

If you want benchmarks, look at the iPad conference or any of the other benchmarks online.

There was a performance upgrade THIS year. Take a look at the iPad benchmarks, its significantly faster than the 3GS.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3633/apples-a4-soc-faster-than-snapdragon

There I even provided the link for you guys.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The S in 3GS stands for speed. Obviously benchmarks would be needed.

This upgrade was more about the redesign, the clearer screen, better camera, etc.

9. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

What is your problem?

The speed of the 3GS was it's selling point because that was the only new thing about it. It is faster only because it received a newer processor than the iPhone 3G.

iPhone 4 has also received a new processor, and I am quite interested to see how much better it performs.

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I posted the A4 benchmarks in a link above.

11. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

The A4 in the iPhone is almost certainly underclocked (my guess would be 800 MHz), so it won't perform exactly like the iPad. The iPhone also runs more processes, although it does have fewer pixels to render.

Either way, the best thing would be to a side-by-side comparison withe the 3GS to see just how much faster it loads webpages and particular apps.

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Agreed! Love to see some real world tests. Also, I would really like to know how much RAM the iPhone 4 has. Guess we'll have to stay tuned!