No iPhone in The Netherlands before a 3G version

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoodWatch, Jan 26, 2008.

1. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Why? Because we are an 'EDGE-less' nation. The only provider that offered EDGE pulled the plug on it early last year and all the other providers skipped EDGE altogether. My wife's nephew has an imported and unlocked iPhone that I could admire today. Very nice gadget, feels hefty and well made. But because of the lack of EDGE support, Internet access is non-existent. And that is a major drawback. Like I said before, I'll wait until the second gen iPhone hits the market :D

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its unfortunate international citizens have to suffer because Americans would hate it if only Europeans got 3G.

When?

3. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Anybody's guess of course, not one word on the Dutch release :confused:

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

By "When?" I meant, "when did you say before?"

5. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Ahhh. Somewhere in another (older) iPhone thread.

6. larkost macrumors 6502a

Apple's reasons for not includeing 3G in the first round of the iphone had nothing to do with 3G penetration in the US. But rather the fact that the 3G chipsets are not ready for inclusion in a device that is as power-hungry as the iPhone has to be and still provide reasonable battery life (this is what Apple has repeatedly said).

Come'on... this is all about an engineering tradeoff, and Apple has made the right decision for now.

7. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Funny! The UK was "EDGELESS" until Apple came to town. So was Germany and France.. but look at what happened! You never know, they could be rolling it out there too! Please remember Apple has never said the next rev of the phone will have 3G.. so don't hold your breath.

8. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

I know. But EDGE isn't 'state of the art' compared to 3G. It'll be quite a battle to persuade providers to dust off an, in their view 'obsolete' technology. And for what? To sell a couple of thousand of iPhones? BTW, I don't think Germany and France were without EDGE before the launch of the iPhone.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You can still access the Internet via GPRS or WiFi.

10. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

You can. Sort of. I've just finished reading someone's blog who tried. Anything beyond reading e-mail is a pain on GPRS.

11. em500 macrumors regular

Given the somewhat disappointing results in the UK, France and Germany, I think the providers in the other countries are in no rush to sign on. Especially if they have to (re)introduce EDGE, while a 3G version is looming.

12. iStefmac macrumors regular

Actually, in not so many words, they have yes.

13. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I read last week that Apple has sold 350,000 phones by the end of 2007 in Europe. Considering that it had only been on sale for 2 months in Europe I would wonder who would call this disappointing?

I'd call it outstanding that Apple was able to take so much of the smartphone market in such a small time. In Europe, even more so. Having to pay for a phone in addition to taking out a contract was unheard of, very high monthly charges for service, and the converting the 3G snobs... These are outstanding sales figures. I'm sure O2, Orange, and T-Mobile are happy they were the carriers or choice.

14. TWEO macrumors member

I'm on vodafone in NL and using GPRS to visit simple websites is no problem at all. For example, www.nu.nl loads fairly quickly.

15. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Well not really

You see here in Holland, we HAD EDGE, but the only provider of this service (Telfort) has cut it off, because of full coverage of UMTS. In 99.5% of the Netherlands, you have full UMTS reception, and for HSDPA, one of the providers, Vodafone is quite far getting it up to a good 70%. I think here in Holland it will definitely catch on, you get unlimited internet at UMTS speeds for 7 euro's a month at Telfort, so if it comes out in say, May or June, I think it might be quite the problem GETTING one, because they're all sold out :p.

16. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

I don't know where you are from, or that remark was in jest, but 3G has nothing to do with snobbery. Yes, I'm sure O2, Orange and T-Mobile are very happy to cough up 10% of their revenue to Apple. 350,000 on a market as big as the US? Yes, very successful...... We'll see later this year! Or, as Steve said, at the end of 2008.