No Iphone OS templates in Xcode for new project

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by newbie50, Jul 24, 2009.

1. newbie50 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm playing around with wanting to learn to write some very simple apps for my iphone

In Xcode, when I open a new project and choose a template, I only have templates available for Mac OS. The pane on the left side of the new project window does not even list Iphone OS as a possibility

I have a brand spankin' new macbook, intel based, leopard etc.

Any thoughts from you would help.

I am a software developer by trade, but I am totally new to Mac, so I could really use your help!

2. firewood macrumors 604

You have to download the iPhone SDK (check the sticky at the top of this forum). It includes an expanded Xcode install.

3. macFan3000 macrumors newbie

But make sure you have a lot of time/ super fast connection. It's 2 GB.

4. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Me too.

I also am coming over from writing for PC's. Just bought a 15" MBP 2.8 and 16G 3G.

If I understand you right, I want to DL the iPhone SDK instead of just the Xcode one. The iPhone SDK includes everything the Xcode package does with the inclusion of the Iphone stuff?

Also, I'm registered on the Apple site and I see both Leopard and Snow L. packages are available. I don't have beta Snow on my machine so I think I need just Leopard. When I upgrade my OS to Snow (Sept?), I assume I will have to upgrade my SDK to Snow. If true, any notion on that being seamless as to not lose a lot of work or a lot of re-writing?
    Tks...

5. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Yes.

Yes.

Unknown but unlikely. By then there might be only one SDK. SDK, Xcode, Mac OS are all in flux. I wouldn't worry about your code not being valuable at that time. Just assume that it won't be ;-) What could you learn in a month ;-? Anyway, Snow leopard might not ship til January. Fat lady singin and all that. There's always an upgrade path.

6. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Great. Thanks. As I thought. I'll get the package tomorrow. Visiting a site with a really fast connection. I kinda figured on the upgrade path.
    This all sounds like fun. I need something new after all these years. Been around since TRS-80 assembly.
    Thanks again.

7. billjilltill macrumors newbie

"You have to download the iPhone SDK (check the sticky at the top of this forum). It includes an expanded Xcode install." From Firewood