no iPhone SDK forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chopper dave, Oct 3, 2007.

1. chopper dave macrumors regular

Interesting article over at Ars says that we will be stuck with web-based apps for a while, and that the decision is baffling to lower-level Apple employees. A small bit of light at the end of the tunnel is the possible addition of Safari extensions that allow offline storage of web "apps" and their files.

Aside from the obvious run speed issues with running Safari apps, this could go a long ways toward making web apps more useful, but it is still totally lame.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...l-remain-web-based-for-the-foreseeable-future

What do you all think- is the ability to store web apps offline enough of a feature to dump your thirst for native apps? Myself, I'd consider it a lot more than what they've done with 1.1.1, especially if apps can run when Safari is not in focus. For example, Meebo (and others) is a lot better than MobileChat as far as user interface goes- the only bad part is that it has to reload every time I change focus or reconnect to the network.

2. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Well I guess since "Source" says, we might as well take it seriously...

:confused:

3. tsvb macrumors 6502

I think web apps are lame and are only there to delay what is going to come. I think Apple is working on supporting 3rd party apps but they need to have complete control over how they get put onto the iPhone.

4. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

5. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Blast! You beat me to it!!!

Well...if FSJ says it's so, that's just money in the bank. Start your development engines now!!

:D
    --DotComCTO

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    But was it "Unnamed Source" ?

For myself, I'm so sick and tired of all the wimps who keep posting that no one should mod their phone... that I say we take down their names.

Then if a real SDK comes out, those who claimed their phone was "perfect the way it came" should be last in line for apps... and first in line against the wall.

:eek:

PS. yes i know i'm mixing up nonsensical arguments. it's all in fun.