No iPhones in stock -- marketing strategy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GlassBullet, Jul 9, 2009.

1. GlassBullet macrumors regular

GlassBullet

I went to my local AT&T store the other day and got my 3GS. They don't have any in stock so they ordered it from the manufacturer and I have to wait for it to be delivered (1-2 weeks). My buddy got his a couple weeks ago and they had to do the same thing. Is this some kind of a marketing strategy that they're doing everywhere, or is it just my store? I don't see why they can't just have them ready to go in the store like all the other phones.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

What other phones in the At&t store does Apple sell? To your point, I dont think that it is a marketing strategy. They have nothing to gain from not selling products. I think they are just out of stock. Demand was > supply.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Maybe it's because all the MacRumor posters are swapping out their phones from black to white and then back to black because every day they have a whim to try something else.

Or because people are accidently tripping their water sensors and swapping out their phones because they are worried about what MIGHT happen months/years from now

Or maybe it's because the demand is just that high

Personally.. I think it's a combo platter

4. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

It would be a pretty silly marketing strategy that had something to sell but require people to wait to get it - when people have to wait, they change their mind, or at least go away with the idea of returning later when they can get what they want over the counter.

Being widely out of stock is the result of AT&T and Apple selling more iPhones than Apple can supply from the manufacturing plants. It simply means that worldwide, demand has outstripped available stocks, and that demand remains sufficiently high that restocking barely meets the volume of sales already made.

Give it a week or two, and demand will slow down enough that stocks will begin to build back up.

5. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

It may or may not be a marketing ploy, much like the Wii did.

They create a false sense of demand exceeding supply and that since it's sold out everywhere, it must be something you really, really have to get as soon as possible.

6. GlassBullet thread starter macrumors regular

GlassBullet

That's exactly what I was thinking then I made this topic. Thanks for all your responses.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think it's the normal trend of iPhone marketing. The newest iPhone is in high demand, just as the previous generations of iPhone have been. They'll restock and eventually have to get ready for the NEXT iPhone....:cool::cool::cool:

8. ADent macrumors 6502a

Why not just get it at the Apple store? They even have a convenient inventory checker.

Apple does seem to build up a stockpile of these and then the initial surge will burn thru the stockpile. Eventually supply and demand level out.

9. GlassBullet thread starter macrumors regular

GlassBullet

I would go to the Apple store, but the nearest one is 100+ miles away. And I don't have a car. Out of curiosity, can you get an iPhone with the 2 year AT&T contract from an Apple store?

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yes you can. And Best Buy will do it as well. Thats where I got mine on launch day. ;)

11. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

Its gotta suck not having an apple store nearby....I notice alot of people saying the nearest apple store is 2 or 3 hours away

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

^ Mine is 15 minutes away. Another is 25 Minutes away. Another is 30 minutes away.

Perimeter Mall
    Mall of Georgia
    Lenux Mall

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

High five?

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Mine is 5 minutes away by foot
    Another is 5 minutes by subway
    Another is probably abotu the same but in the other direction by subway

15. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Just saying.
    I'll fill out the appropriate paper work for that high five though. We'll get it done. I'll have my people call your people and we'll see what we can come up with.
    And wow, you're aweful close to one.

16. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Not everyone is upgrade eligibile and willing to pay whatever price that Apple tells them...so you gotta work with the salesman and Apple just doesn't do that. I had to go to my AT&T store to get early upgrade pricing instead of no commitment pricing...something Apple couldn't do for me. I would have preferred going to the Apple store...but it just wasn't an option even though I knew they had the one I want and it's only about a 20 minute drive for me.

As for this supposed marketing strategy...it isn't one. Generally the only people who find out about lack of supply are people that are already interested in the device. I don't know anyone that bases their decisions about device purchases based off of demand for said device...that's just dumb. It may get their attention...sure...but that does not drive their purchasing.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you truly think Apple is artificially restricting supply in a weird attempt to drum up demand, then don't buy one. That'll show em! :rolleyes:

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. In fact, Apple could be losing sales if the stores are out of stock. Someone could decide they need a phone immediately, and purchase something else.

19. wildbillwn macrumors newbie

Glass,
    Have you tried an apple store? Plenty of availability of iphones at the Apple store according to Apple. Supposedly, this is updated every 30 minutes. I don't know how accurate it is.....

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Must be nice.

Nearest Apple store is almost 2 hours from my home.

Agree as well.

Need to have the product when the customer wants it. Otherwise it is very easy to loose the sale.