Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I found the Apple Remote is no longer a option when order the iMac, so does anybody know if Apple has removed the IR receiver? Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I found the Apple Remote is no longer a option when order the iMac, so does anybody know if Apple has removed the IR receiver? Thanks.
Most likely, in the same way they removed it from the most recent MBPs.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But does the Apple Remote app work? Seems everyone owns an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad so if the app works there really isn't a huge need for the IR remote. Mine's in a drawer somewhere.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
But does the Apple Remote app work? Seems everyone owns an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad so if the app works there really isn't a huge need for the IR remote. Mine's in a drawer somewhere.

So why not do that with Mac mini or Apple TV?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So why not do that with Mac mini or Apple TV?

Guessing...

Mac Mini design is a couple years old and the hole is in the case. Probably cheaper to continue with IR than cast a new mold without the hole.

Apple TV - Probably because of the "TV" part. Some people expect a physical remote. But bet it get's phased out with ATV 3.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Shame .. now the Apple logo in the front no longer hold any purpose. I love IR remote. No other fancy remote could do with the same batteries and no charge for 2 straight years. Especially iOS remote app :p

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Arghh that's not good. I use my IR remote all the time on my Alu 24", I'm going to be upgrading.

Sure is a lot of stuff missing on this new iMac that really didn't need to be scrapped in my opinion.....DVD Drive (I have an external anyway), Audio-In, and now the IR sensor? Oh but wait, it's thinner and lighter...since its so important for a desktop.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Arghh that's not good. I use my IR remote all the time on my Alu 24", I'm going to be upgrading.

Sure is a lot of stuff missing on this new iMac that really didn't need to be scrapped in my opinion.....DVD Drive (I have an external anyway), Audio-In, and now the IR sensor? Oh but wait, it's thinner and lighter...since its so important for a desktop.

And FireWire...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.