No IR receiver in the new iMac ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wmy5, Dec 1, 2012.

1. wmy5 macrumors regular

I found the Apple Remote is no longer a option when order the iMac, so does anybody know if Apple has removed the IR receiver? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most likely, in the same way they removed it from the most recent MBPs.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

But does the Apple Remote app work? Seems everyone owns an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad so if the app works there really isn't a huge need for the IR remote. Mine's in a drawer somewhere.

4. wmy5 thread starter macrumors regular

So why not do that with Mac mini or Apple TV?

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Guessing...

Mac Mini design is a couple years old and the hole is in the case. Probably cheaper to continue with IR than cast a new mold without the hole.

Apple TV - Probably because of the "TV" part. Some people expect a physical remote. But bet it get's phased out with ATV 3.

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Shame .. now the Apple logo in the front no longer hold any purpose. I love IR remote. No other fancy remote could do with the same batteries and no charge for 2 straight years. Especially iOS remote app :p

7. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Arghh that's not good. I use my IR remote all the time on my Alu 24", I'm going to be upgrading.

Sure is a lot of stuff missing on this new iMac that really didn't need to be scrapped in my opinion.....DVD Drive (I have an external anyway), Audio-In, and now the IR sensor? Oh but wait, it's thinner and lighter...since its so important for a desktop.

8. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

And FireWire...