No IR receiver on new MBP's?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
The Retina MacBook Pro is missing the IR receiver too I can see. Why'd they put the HDMI in there for then?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
i never use my remote, but i definitely thought there might be a use for it in the future. I didn't see any remote in the unboxing either. oh well, can't have everything.

Comment

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
i never use my remote, but i definitely thought there might be a use for it in the future. I didn't see any remote in the unboxing either. oh well, can't have everything.
They haven't put remotes in with their Macs since at least 2007 or 2008. I use the remote for presentations, as well as for the occasional media (especially when connected to the TV). I also still use it with Front Row on Snow Leopard.

No sleep indicator either I think, or battery indicator. Found the latter extremely useful :(
I liked the sleep indicator, but more importantly the battery indicator would be kind of important. I hope there is at least one on the bottom.

maybe they want you to use your i-device to control it?
The problem with that is that you HAVE to buy an iDevice, HAVE to be on the same network, and HAVE to have the app. And I'm not sure if it works for anything other than Keynote or iTunes (they are 2 different apps!). What about else? Also, what if I don't have a WiFi network at the place I'm presenting, and I don't have 3G with me?

Comment

mackmgg

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2007
The problem with that is that you HAVE to buy an iDevice, HAVE to be on the same network, and HAVE to have the app. And I'm not sure if it works for anything other than Keynote or iTunes (they are 2 different apps!). What about else? Also, what if I don't have a WiFi network at the place I'm presenting, and I don't have 3G with me?
If you have no WiFi, you can always create one with the Mac. That being said, I think an Apple Remote looks a lot more professional than a cell phone when you're giving a presentation.

Comment

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
You should be able to pair via bluetooth or ad-hoc wifi.

HDMI has control signals. Maybe an app will appear so it can use the TVs IR.

Comment

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Most business projectors have IR. having HDMI that passes IR commands is another story.

Perhaps the ATV's IR will be supported with updated OS versions.

Using an iPhone or iPod touch is probably the best solution. Or a Logitech presentation remote.

Comment

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Most business projectors have IR. having HDMI that passes IR commands is another story.

Perhaps the ATV's IR will be supported with updated OS versions.

Using an iPhone or iPod touch is probably the best solution. Or a Logitech presentation remote.
That might be good. Does it control the media also?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.