No IR receiver on new MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonMac50, Jun 11, 2012.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

The Retina MacBook Pro is missing the IR receiver too I can see. Why'd they put the HDMI in there for then?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

2. busterbluth macrumors 6502

i never use my remote, but i definitely thought there might be a use for it in the future. I didn't see any remote in the unboxing either. oh well, can't have everything.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No sleep indicator either I think, or battery indicator. Found the latter extremely useful :(

4. NStocks macrumors 65816

maybe they want you to use your i-device to control it?

5. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

They haven't put remotes in with their Macs since at least 2007 or 2008. I use the remote for presentations, as well as for the occasional media (especially when connected to the TV). I also still use it with Front Row on Snow Leopard.

I liked the sleep indicator, but more importantly the battery indicator would be kind of important. I hope there is at least one on the bottom.

The problem with that is that you HAVE to buy an iDevice, HAVE to be on the same network, and HAVE to have the app. And I'm not sure if it works for anything other than Keynote or iTunes (they are 2 different apps!). What about else? Also, what if I don't have a WiFi network at the place I'm presenting, and I don't have 3G with me?

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you have no WiFi, you can always create one with the Mac. That being said, I think an Apple Remote looks a lot more professional than a cell phone when you're giving a presentation.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You should be able to pair via bluetooth or ad-hoc wifi.

HDMI has control signals. Maybe an app will appear so it can use the TVs IR.

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

But what if its connected to a projector? I dont think they have IR do they?

9. Sgtarky macrumors regular

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Most business projectors have IR. having HDMI that passes IR commands is another story.

Perhaps the ATV's IR will be supported with updated OS versions.

Using an iPhone or iPod touch is probably the best solution. Or a Logitech presentation remote.

11. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

That might be good. Does it control the media also?