Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
After a day with iOS5, I can honestly say I've experienced no major issues, at least compared to dozens of others I've read about on this forum. You MUST install by clicking 'RESTORE' not update and I highly recommend setting up as a new device, syncing contacts and mail, then installing Apps. Do not setup from your iOS4 backups.

- Only issue, after restart iPhone say Searching... but calls and SMS can me made/received. Airplane mode fixes this. No issues with the few dozen Apps I've used today, including Facebook. Battery life was slightly worse but I did use my phone more than usual because of the new OS. New Notifications rock!

- iCloud seems to be buggy, not backing up correctly and contacts don't sync properly so had to turn iCloud off and resync via iTunes for now..

- Custom ringtones sync and work fine

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

My phone detects and connects to the network fine after a restart. And my contacts and calendar entries sync through iCloud on two devices just fine.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
iOS 5 has been really good for me as well. I cannot believe that everyone is moaning once again about this release. I think this is one of the best software releases for the iPhone that apple has announced. iCloud is going to be amazing once all the bugs are sorted. I cannot back up to iCloud properly either. It always seems to say that it has failed. Photo stream works well though with my macbook pro and iPhone. iMessage is brilliant as well. Fair enough apple has took a lot of features from other platforms like android but most of the stuff that these platforms have have been taken from the iPhone in the first place

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
iOS 5 Beta is pretty good, we have come across a few issues with my testing group which some have been recreated some not.

I know, for myself when clicking on the notification for a reminder it managed to crash the app

David

Turkeywrap

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
South Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Only issue I have is my halved battery life. From 8+ hours to around 4.

I think I might know the issue but is anyone else having the same issue?

Toaster2074

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
One issue
ive had the trotts since installing iOS 5 Beta

Not software related i dont think
:D

Hopefully they will fix this for beta2. Pls send a bug report to apple because I don't want this bug happening to me when I put iOS 5 on my phone.

P.s. I found a temporary fix for this. Always have a porta potty wherever you go.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Hopefully they will fix this for beta2. Pls send a bug report to apple because I don't want this bug happening to me when I put iOS 5 on my phone.

P.s. I found a temporary fix for this. Always have a porta potty wherever you go.

Lol, bit hard in a smart car :rolleyes:

I hear iLooRoll 5 GM does indeed fix this, though the jailbroken version is iSandPaper 5 and is full of holes:apple:

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Seems that I'm having a few issues with posting comments via Facebook app but mobile website works fine. Really a solid b1 as compared to iOS 3/4

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I haven't had any major issues... just a bunch of little ones.

-Only app that has crashed on me is Safari and always in the same spot. When trying to edit the search box in google.

-I can't sync most of my ringtones, but that's an issue of iTunes 10.5 i think.

-Tapping on the call button doesn't recall the last phone dialed like it used to.

-In consistent behavior when texting.

-iMessage doesn't work sometimes.

-My phone won't play well with my Pioneer headunit when I switch the source to iPod. HOWEVER, when I use bluetooth now the song information does show.

On my iPad I have issues when streaming video.

ashish.coolguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
no network

hi,
i updated my iphone 4 to ios 5 b1. i activated it using the steps voiceover, emergency etc. from here
the prob is my phone isnt catching my network, even though i have an factory unlocked iphone. also itunes 10.5 beta doesnt connect with the iphone saying that i dont have a developers account. moreover OTA updates arent working and neither is the wifi sync option. cant i activate my iphone without having a developers acc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.