No issues with my MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I have seen various complaints of speed, keyboard, and screen. This has not been my experience.

I usually work in Microsoft Office and have been using a 12.9" iPad Pro as my daily driver, along with a 2017 MacBook Pro 15" when I need a bit more heavier lifting done. I travel extensively, and love the size and weight of the iPad Pro, and find the Office apps adequate, along with Zoom videoconferencing and Safari for websites. But sometimes, I need a bit more oomph, usually because of multiple windows at once or complex Excel or PowerPoint template work, but the 15" MacBook Pro is too heavy for constant travel.

I decided to try a loaded 13" MacBook Air, and it's frankly perfect. The screen is more than good enough, the keyboard is fine, I love the Touch ID (I didn't realize I missed it on my iPad Pro), and it's a bit less heavy than the 13" MacBook Pro while also letting me carry a smaller 30W USB-C PD charger that works great with the iPad Pro and my iPhone. I can carry a ridiculous amount of documents archived on on the MBA, and even sometimes pop into Windows 10 on Parallels Desktop without any downside.

So not everyone hates this light little laptop that takes very little power. I'm a fan.

Clockworkz

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm liking my air also, I still have a week or so to return it if I truly do want to but so far I enjoy using it.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
I've had mine for a couple of months now and so far no issues. It's not a speed demon by any means, but it's fast enough to do basic photo editing and word processing. The screen is fine, much better than the previous Air, and I can actually type blazing fast on this keyboard. For the $999 I paid for it, it's a great little machine. Any more $$$ than that, and I would have went with a Pro. If you're looking to get a 2018 Air, it is always on sale somewhere so absolutely do not pay Apple full retail price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost31

PaladinGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
Glad everyone is enjoying them. I really enjoyed mine, minus the keyboard breaking and then the computer bricking post-repair. I never had any issues with speed or the screen. I loved the speakers and trackpad.

I hated selling, but I just didn’t want to constantly be worried that I’d have a key break. Otherwise, I would have kept it for years.