iPad mini No issues with retina iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Nov 14, 2013.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

So I had ordered a 64 gig wifi retina mini through Apple the other morning, but yesterday my local store got some in so I cancelled my order and headed over there and picked one up for my wife.

There are no issues with it.

There are no nicks or scuffs or scratches on the diamond cut chamfer or anywhere else, the home button is flush, the side/top buttons have a very nice feel to them, there's no rattle from the camera lens (let's face it most Apple products at least have that), and the glass is flush with the chamfer all the way around.

The screen looks great. Zero uneven/yellow tint on a pure white screen even when tilting the iPad side to side and top to bottom, and zero backlight bleeding on an all black screen.

The screen is on the cooler side for a change, product after product after product seems to get warmer with Apple so it's nice to FINALLY see a product go back the other direction rather than getting yellower and yellower. Personally I prefer a cooler screen.

As for colors, though I didn't do a direct comparison with my iPad 4, they may not be quite as saturated as my iPad, but I can't say for sure since I didn't do a comparison since there's no need to - the mini colors look plenty fine and in daily use will be just great and are by no means "washed out". That said, there's nothing that says more saturated colors automatically are better, either.

All in all this batch 1 retina mini is perfect, so don't be afraid to jump in. Sometimes we spend way too much time reading crap on these forums and less time just enjoying the product. Either way, the iPad I bought last night is a keeper.

2. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

That's good, but you should probably run a series of tests until a problem is found. :D Hmmmmm........should I hit the submit button. ;) :D

ENJOY! :)

P.S. My wife wants me to stop at Best Buy for a rMini, and your report is pushing me in that direction. My wife would thank you if she had seen this. :D

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah I was worried, as I usually am after reading this forum. I did in fact notice terrible uneven tints on the Airs on display without really looking that hard, but they did not have retina minis on display yet so I went into this totally blind.

And it came out just fine.

I actually am pretty picky (I read the forums, don't I?) and neurotic about making sure my stuff is good, but I've only ever had to return one Apple product, and oddly enough, it was an iPod classic which was a plenty mature product.

Either I'm really lucky, or the vast majority of products out there are fine and we all worry too much about getting a dud.

4. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Yeah my local Apple store got some in yesterday so I picked one up last night. The screen is pretty much flawless. Beautiful, crisp whites and even backlighting. If anything, the screen temperature is slightly cooler than my 1st gen mini. The screen is ever so slightly dimmer at the very top when held in portrait mode. But the effect is so minor that there is no way I would risk returning this unit and risk getting a replacement with a yellow screen. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my retina mini!

5. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

There are *no* issues with *any* iPad mini's.

Some people are just more anal than others. :p;)

Enjoy your new toy. :D

6. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Maybe I'm just blind, but I don't see issues with mine either.

7. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

I bought a Retina Mini on Tue (launch day) and it had a noticeable yellow tint at the bottom of the screen. It also had a somewhat dark fade at the top of the screen. Went back yesterday and exchanged it and the replacement is perfect. Having experienced the "half yellow screen issue", I can relate to those that have the issue and I feel fortunate to have resolved it with the first exchange. Also, Apple's customer service, for me, has been superb. They exchanged it with no questions asked immediately. One of the reasons I own so many of their products.

8. Kaizen macrumors member

I'm currently waiting for the store to open so I can exchange the white mini I bought last night. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is very noticeably yellow, and it's very distracting when reading text. Hopefully the replacement is better!

9. Florals macrumors member

Mine came with a slight scratch on the back casing, but I'm trying to ignore it. Other than that, I absolutely love it. The screen is beautiful, the iPad itself is nice and fast - no problems here. :)

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Yep, every iPad is perfect. In fact, you don't even need to look at it or touch it to enjoy its perfection. Just be in the same room with it. It's flawless!

:rolleyes:

11. mfr1340 macrumors regular

I'm just lucky

I have had lots of iDevices and I have never had a damaged one. I have had a ipad4 just not start-up. I tried a hard start and nothing. I went to best buy and they just went to the back room and brought me out a brand new one. I ended up asking them if I could return it a week later (still un-opened) because it was getting too close to the new one's launch cycle.

12. cababah macrumors 68000

I am guessing that you live your life based on the "ignorance is bliss" motto?

13. TomTomHatesCats macrumors regular

TomTomHatesCats

Agree and disagree

I was at Tekserve (Apple retailer in NYC) yesterday and they had retina and non-retina minis side by side on display. As OP stated, the retina mini screen is a lot cooler than the non-retina mini. Whether that's good or not is subjective. However, when comparing images (using the same webpages on both devices), the retina mini looked noticeably washed out. Not in a deal-breaker way, but it was a little disappointing. As OP said, less saturated doesn't necessarily mean better, but they sure did in a side by side comparison last night. That said, no one's going to be using two devices side by side like that in daily use, in which case you won't realize it's washed out at all. I'm still waiting to read more results on this forum, but sooner or later, I think I'll be picking one up.

14. Charliebird, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

My first rMini had a small ding on it on the diamond cut chamfer (is this a known issue?). It wasn't awful but I did noticed it right away even through the plastic wrapping. Everything else on it looked OK and I didn't notice any issues with the screen (I intentionally do not look for yellow tints). I took it back to Apple and they didn't have any replacements in stock so they of course gave me a full refund.

I found one at Best Buy which was a bit of an adventure. The first store didn't have any rMini's and they called a second store which had four in stock but they had customers in-store purchasing them as we spoke. So they called a third store and they had one in stock which they were able to set it aside for me. (Very strange to say Best Buy to rescue)

I opened my second rMini at Best Buy and it looked perfect. I brought it home and started using it and so far everything looks and acts great with it. For some strange reason I actually think the screen on this one is a tad bit sharper however I'm probably imagining it (I know this will drive some people crazy looking for the one). Right now I'm a happy camper. :)

Finally, I actually think in the long run I'll like the rMini screen better than the iPad Air's screen. Since it's more muted it's easier on my eyes for long duration's.

15. macbanjo macrumors newbie

All good here

Got mine today and completed setup, screen looks great no compliant
    The text for me is so much clearer and reading the smaller text much
    Better, this was my main reason upgrading from the first gen mini
    Happy camper

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This title should be updated to say there's no issue with your mini. Having said that its nice to see threads like this since the majority are usually from those who have issues. Nice to get different perspectives.

17. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

Got mine last night and used it all day on a work project and I absolutely love it. I'm coming from a 3 so the speed is nice. The screen looks great to me. I have zero complaints.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Got mine today using the Apple Tracker app and canceled my online order.

My rMini is perfect. Gorgeous screen.

No tint, no gamut :p, no heat, no washout, no screen burn in, no crackling speakers, no stuck home button, no viruses, no static electric shock, no dead pixels... Nada. Perfect. I must be the luckiest iPad customer on the planet... :rolleyes:

SARCASM ALERT!

19. kalt macrumors regular

I agree, I really like the mini, and I LOVE having 128gb finally.

The screen is definitely cooler in color temp, more like the iPad 3 screen. I remember when I got the iPad 4 the screen was much hotter/red.

The Mini Ret screen is more subdued, not as bright... i find i keep the brightness turned all the way up while i kept it at around 95% on my iPad 4 and iPhone 5S.... always a notch below 100%.

Like everyone here, it seems I always suffer mild mental trauma and PTSD whenever I get a new apple product and the screen is not exactly like the previous generation product i've spent a whole year getting used to. Like a dog getting a new owner, it's shocking and traumatic. But I know it will be okay after 48 hours. A year from now I'll be freaking out how the Mini 3 (with iTouch and A8 and gold) has a much warmer screen, more reds, etc.

20. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

rMini is fine for me too. I like to visit this forum after a new release to remind myself to get a life.

21. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Yep! :D

22. saber45 macrumors member

Got a rMini that transitions to yellow as you look down the screen. I'm going to get it changed when i have time. Bit disappointing as the Air i had, had the same problems and i changed to the rMini to avoid these problems!

23. kimovski macrumors regular

Just got my rMini, simply love it, perfect white as mine rMBP! :D

24. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

25. sethlution macrumors regular

Thank you for this thread. I was about to give up upgrading my iPad 2 to the rMini this year and wait for the next update after reading all the complains in this forum. Just hope Apple starts selling them in Korea soon.