No iTunes, etc. After Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ingenious, May 18, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

So here's the deal: my sister has a Core Duo MacBook from her school (they gave it to her, but they still maintain it, kind of a lease idea) and it recently went on the fritz (applications wouldn't start up, system would hang and then wouldn't power up, etc.).

Apple replaced the logic board among other parts (keyboard, top case [brown-ish due to heat; second time its been replaced]) and now its come back looking as good as new.

However, certain applications will not start now after the computer's first reboot. iTunes and Microsoft Messenger are the two main culprits. Having OS X restore default preference files does nothing and neither does reinstalling iTunes.

The error report always cites QuickTimeComponent.component as the culprit. Right now I'm downloading QT again to see if it will help.

Ideas? Comments? Help?!

2. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

it might be since itunes is basically just an interface for organising music (how it can be such a resource hog i don't know) while quicktime program or engine (?) that actually plays your music, videos, etc.

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 68000

ingenious

so true. :)

i reinstalled quicktime and now MS Messenger and iTunes work, but no PPC MS apps work (i.e. Word, etc.).

Luckily I just got iWork (Family Pack) today for graduation, so she installed that and was pretty excited.

So strange though. More comments are appreciated!

4. mosx macrumors 65816

Why not just a do a full reinstallation of OS X? When things go that bad its generally best to start from scratch than to try to fix it.

5. ingenious thread starter macrumors 68000

ingenious

ugh, that is such a windows "fix"... on a Mac things don't go that way. There's always a way to fix it. honestly, i'd rather hunt down the solution than reinstall... it seems like a "quick fix" solution that is generally unnecessary.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nonsense. When you are having multiple issues with different apps the best course of action is a back up and reinstall.

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

New logic board means new machine. There's no better time to start with a clean slate!

8. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I agree, you should back up documents and do a full Reinstall :)

9. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

*while quicktime is the program...
    my english is always so bad on these forums :p