No iTunes in the Cloud in the U.K?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tom8, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Even though i'm on iTunes 10.3, i still don't have the option to use the beta iCloud services, on my MacBook Pro or on my iPhone 4, running 4.3.3. Anyone else from the U.K in the same position?

2. adztaylor macrumors 68000

iTunes cloud services won't be coming to the UK anytime soon I'm afraid.

3. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you mean in beta form, or in any capacity?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's currently US only.

There's been no indication when (or if) it will be introduced anywhere else.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Never mind. :)

What I wrote was cr*p.

Edit:
    However I would think it should be around reasonably soon.

It is the rest of the iCloud services I'd be in need of when they shut down MobileMe.

6. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just thought it strange, since the U.K, or me at least, already have the 'Purchased Apps' features in iBooks and the App Store, so i couldn't see any reason why the iTunes feature hasn't been included.

7. Evgenyy macrumors regular

Best alternative for UK is Spotify and it's available now. Seriously, Spotify is worth every penny considering that you can stream and download for offline listening any of their millions of songs. To me it is still much better than iTunes iCloud and iTunes Match put together.

8. Evgenyy macrumors regular

I don't think they have licensing deals in place that cover UK yet, hence you can only download the purchased song once I believe.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Licensing.

Apple only just managed to sign the US labels up in time for the keynote but we don't even know if they have started negotiations with the labels in other markets.

10. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, i know about Spotify, but a lot of B-Sides and other tracks that i have aren't available on Spotify, and they are available on iTunes, so it makes more sense for me to use that.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

My assumption is that they have to licence the music to use the features of "iCloud" i.e. unlimited downloads, and that they've only done that in the US.

iBooks and iOS Apps have always had unlimited downloads, they've just introduced a new way to see the Apps you've previously downloaded/bought - there's no need for any new agreements with the providers of content.

12. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh right, completely forgot about having to have the U.K labels signed up too. Thanks.

Also, I'm pretty disappointed Apple aren't offering a streaming facility, i'd have hoped they would, maybe it's still in the pipeline :(