No iTunes without mobile me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rucc22, Nov 14, 2010.

1. rucc22 macrumors member

So I want to get rid of mobile me... But my mobile me account, is my iTunes account name and password. So if I get rid of my mobile me, does that mean I will no longer be able to access the music I purchased? Help!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

No, you can go into the iTunes store and change the email address that is tied to your iTunes account to a different address and you are good to go.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I used a previously registered and then dropped MobileMe address as my iTunes ID for a long time. You just don't have access to that email anymore, so definitely do as alust2013 suggested and change the account email address, but your login and password will continue to work long after you've dropped your MobileMe account. Better yet, if you ever want to get back that address, you can renew it on MobileMe in the future, though of course it won't have your emails still stored. The address is permanently yours, though, even if you drop the service.

jW

4. rucc22 thread starter macrumors member

im trying to change the ID but thats the only field that it wont let me change. this sux. they are basically forcing me to pay $100 a year so i can keep the music i purchased! ughhhhh

5. Nermal, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Cancelling your MobileMe account will not affect your Apple ID. You can still log into iTunes, the Apple Store, etc with your mac.com/me.com email and password even after the MobileMe account is cancelled/expired.

Normally you can change your Apple ID any time (there'd be an "Edit" link next to the field) - but this can't be done with a MobileMe account.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You don't need to change the Apple ID. Just the contact email. You can't change that Apple ID, but you don't have to pay for it to keep using it for iTunes.

jW