No iWork 08 Trial download?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netdog, Aug 7, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Surprised not to see this anywhere? Would love to give this a try!

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've been searching for it too. Can't find it anywhere.

3. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

You need a TRIAL?

Get outta town. It's $79 and compatible with MS which is $200+ more.

4. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I'll go buy it tomorrow, but I want to run it tonight.

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

iWork (06?) is really good already, but with what is being added it is an instant purchase. And to think I was just about to buy MS Office for Mac. :eek:

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Really? It can read/create .DOC and .XLS files? That's very, very awesome!

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I definitely need a trial. It's all about Office compatibility for me.

You see, I very rarely create documents. I might create 3-4 documents (word processing and spreadsheets combined) a year, and never use presentation software.

What I do, however, is spend 8 hours/day working with documents created by Windows users. I open their documents, and convert them to a Web-friendly format. I'm an over-paid copy/paster, basically.

I just want to see how easy it is to do this. From what I've seen so far, there's an extra step involved... The step of importing, as opposed to just opening a Word document and working with it.

I might get the same document 8-10 times in a day, each with revisions to the last. I frequently have to make revisions and send them back.

If I have to start up iWork > New Document > File > Import > Save As > Do my work > File > Export... All before Emailing, then this program, regardless of how much of a value it is, adds time to my workflow.

With Office or NeoOffice, I just open the document, make my changes, save, and send it back. No import/export hoops to jump through.

So yes... I need a trial. We all do different things for a living, and work in different ways. A product that meets one's needs, won't necessarily meet everybody's.

Download now, and hoping for the best.

8. chelsel macrumors 6502

if it can't open embedded pictures in a Word document then it's not compatible!

I don't know about iWork and Pages 2008, but if it's like 06 then you can't even open a Word document that contains an embedded picture... hardly 'compatible'.

But I'm curious to try out the new version as well... if it can open up the basic Word documents on my system (with embedded pictures) then I'm sold...

Cliff.

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I also need to know how it handles Word's "Track Changes" feature when I import/open in Pages.

10. giganten macrumors 6502a

Don't know if I should buy iWork 08 or wait on office.
    Any now if it will work with Word and other office documents? If it do I will order iWork 08.

11. TheStranger55 macrumors member

Well I need the trial since I would rather pay $49 (Canadian) from the Education store, for a key rather than $71 for the boxed version.

You can't buy a key unless you have the '08 trial.

Does anyone know if I buy iwork from the education store does that mean I can only use it for educational purposes?

Thanks.

12. chelsel macrumors 6502

My Word Documents Look Good!

Compared to '06, my Microsoft Word documents with embedded pictures look GREAT!!!

The only thing I've seen so far which I don't like AT ALL, is the skinny toolbars... :-(

Other than that... the functionality looks good...

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Really? I've never had that problem. However, I have seen scores of horribly formatted Word documents. Pages really shows up how badly paragraph and character formatting is implemented in Word.

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That's the general idea. The terms of getting an education discount is that the item will be used for 'educational purposes'. :p